Matronly Duties

Matronly Duties

113,689,591 (2)None
Recently added byMaraBlaise

It's been almost 200 years since an asteroid slammed into Earth and killed billions of people. The only humans that survived the impact found rescue in underground sanctuaries.

Bethanie Green has spent the last twelve years training to become the next Matron of the underground nation of Oceania. But just weeks before she is to take office is she kidnaped by a group of men, luckily for her Howard James is there to rescue her.

I loved the idea of this book, the thought of underground sanctuaries where the human race continued their existence. Unfortunately too much of the story were spent on Bethanies and Howards relationship and that was just not my cup of tea. And, that is too bad because Melissa Kendall really created an interesting world with a female leader that is chosen and trained for years to take over after the last one. Also, since there is something strange going on with this leadership was I sad to see that not enough was focused on coming to grips why the Matron, that should be a leader, just feels like a glorified monkey. Instead, Bethanie spends most of her time writing love letters to Howard. Come on, she has spent years in training, then realizing that what she is trained for isn't what she thought to be. The government has been lying to the people for years. I thought the story would be about her finding the truth and making the people realize they have been lied to instead all she do is pine after Howard and do anything to get back to him. As I said before, too much romance for my taste.

Another thing Bethanies uses the word fornication all the time when she is talking about sex. And, I just couldn't take anything serious when she kept talking about fornications. Yes, she has learned that sex is fornications that children are born through inseminations and that is a crime to get pregnant the natural way. But still, after a while her choice of word was just annoying, especially since Howard is “enlightening” her.

Still there were good parts and I liked the book best when Bethanie is sworn into office and realize that she is not the leader she thought she would be and Bethanie struggle with learning the truth about when the power was taken from the Matron. I just wish that the last part of the book had been about Bethanie getting back the power for the Matron. If this had been more about the fight and less about the romance, then this had been a book for me.

I received this copy from The Writers Coffee Shop through NetGalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible