Toward the Sunrise: An Until the Dawn…

Toward the Sunrise: An Until the Dawn Novella

by Elizabeth Camden

Book #0.5, in Until the Down series

I am not a huge fan of novellas but I will make exception here. It was just enough of a teaser to see the author style and enjoy her introduction to the series and her characters. By omitting the fluff that no one really cares about, the author has managed to propel an excellent storyline within 100 pages or so.

This page- turner for some but maybe not for others brings us to the end of the 19th century in Hudson River Valley and is a good start to the Until Dawn series. Although I wish “Toward the Sunrise” would have been a novel instead. The story offers an intriguing peek in the life of residents of the abandoned Vandermark historic estate. Julia Broeder is the main character she dreams becoming a medical missionary and with the help of Aston Carlyle she will achieve her dream ……and more. The plot is vivid, complex and is well paced. Considering the shortness of this novel the characterisation is quite enjoyable although missing substance. (Unfortunately, there is no time for development in a novella).

This is a sweet historical romance novella I enjoyed quite a bit. Maybe I was just in the right mood for this type of book…… ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 23, 2017 |
Elizabeth Camden is a new author for me. However, I've heard amazing things about her books from my fellow avid reader friends, and when I had the opportunity to check her book out, I jumped at it. Toward the Sunrise is an ebook novella, currently free on Amazon and Christianbook. It's meant to be an introduction of sorts to her next novel, Until the Dawn. And quite the introduction it is.

We are introduced to the Vandermark estate in the Hudson River Valley in New York, which makes me think of the Vanderbilts. I've visited several Vanderbilt estates in the past few years and I can imagine the scenery described in Toward the Sunrise. We get glimpses of characters that are sure to be present in the full novel, Until the Dawn, and simply can't wait. For Julia and Ashton, I enjoyed their story and found humor in their interactions, especially when the goats were involved. Their romance is one that somehow spanned years, without either one of them knowing, but it gave depth to characters. I actually would love to hear more about them, even in passing in the next book(s) to see how they're doing. Plus there is one question that I hope to have answered more thoroughly.

A lovely introduction that is a fine story in itself. After reading Toward the Sunrise, you'll want to read the full novel set in a mysterious estate as Dierenpark with a powerful family as the Vandermarks. ( )
  justcommonly | Dec 20, 2015 |
Toward the Sunrise is a sweet fast novella, and a page-turner at that. We are at the end of the nineteenth century and we have a young woman in college near the end of her degree of becoming a doctor.
Not only is Julia on the cutting edge of being a woman doctor, she has way too much spunk for one so young. There is something strange about the way she was able to afford to go to medical school. Her father was a groundskeeper at the Vandermark estate, and for some reason one of the lawyers for the Vandermark’s, Ashton Carlyle, is told to do all possible to help her.
In the end I wondered if she was ever going to get a medical degree, or maybe a Veterinarian? She ends up helping dogs and goats, and Ashton ends up doing a lot more than he thought he would in order to make her dreams come true.
There is also a beginning of a new book that is coming out featuring a character we meet named Sophia. I really enjoyed reading this and was done way to soon!
I received this Novella through Bethany House Publishers and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Oct 6, 2015 |

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,989 books! | Top bar: Always visible