Desperate Measures: A Novel (Port Aster…

Desperate Measures: A Novel (Port Aster Secrets)

by Sandra Orchard

4 1/2 stars!

Desperate Measures brings the Port Aster trilogy to a riveting finish, packed with suspense, faith, and a sweet romance. In this book, the small gossipy town near Niagara Falls seemed to be hosting “old home week” for all of Kate Adams’ enemies – with a few extra possibly-bad guys & gals thrown in for good measure. There were times when I gave up trying to figure out whodunit because I honestly had no idea! I thought I knew… and then I didn’t anymore. These are the best kinds of suspense stories – they keep you engaged right until the last page.

In Deadly Devotion, the first book in the series, we were introduced to a budding romance between the two main protagonists – Kate Adams (an herbal research scientist who seems to stumble into her fair share of capers) and Detective Tom Parker (a former FBI agent still dealing with the death of his partner). Kate and Tom have been will-they, won’t-they (of course they will!) all throughout the series but the affection between them remains palpable even when their mutual trust issues cloud the relationship. It was sweet (and sometimes swoony) to watch the flirting get some real emotion behind it in Desperate Measures and to see how their faith in God will help them both learn to trust.

My favorite line across the series comes out of this third and final book – “She was harboring a fugitive plant in her basement.” :) I just get a hilarious image in my head when I read it!

The characters, the plot, the romance, the loose ends all tied up – a perfect finale to a delightful series! I give Desperate Measures and the entire Port Aster series 4 1/2 stars!

(I received a copy of Desperate Measures from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.) ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Five
Review:

"Desperate Measures" by Sandra Orchard

What I liked about this novel...

"Desperate Measures" by Sandra Orchard was this author's 'Port Aster Secrets #3' and ...I love this suspenseful mystery read that kept my interest from the beginning to the very end. I will say to probably better understand some of what went on in this series it would be a good idea to read the first two novels [Deadly Devotion and on to Blind Trust]. But since I didn't I will say that the mystery of it all starts from the very beginning as your attention will be grabbed quickly as this 'series centers around a mysterious plant[miracle plant] that supposedly has miraculous properties.' As the story goes on we find Kate's father was involved in this the plant situation and from here this author will bring to the reader a good mystery read that will unravel the rest of this series to the reader.

This was quite a interesting read about Detective Tom Parker and Kate Adams, who was a herbal research scientist. I loved how this author was able to give the reader a mystery with a lots of conspiracy that was non stopped action in this trilogy. The author's writing will have you guessing you know the answer but later finding out you didn't have that clue with all of the twist and turns that will be presented to the reader. You will be wondering...[Who are the good guy and the bad ones?] The lead heroine Kate really knew her job which I found her research work was very fascinating to read about and then their was the detective Tom. We find the detective is trying to solve this mystery too that surrounds Kate which will give us quite an interesting read. I don't know but to me there seemed to be something missing from these two[Tom & Kate]..sometimes I thought these two were clueless...but in the end maybe they really deserved each other in all of there tense romantic moments where you will be left wondering will these two ever learn that they really care for each other?

Be ready for a read of suspense, mystery, action and even some humor. There will be some well developed, defined, well portrayed and believable characters that will keep the details[secrets]that will be brought out to the reader with a very riveting conclusion for the reader. Now, this is where I say I don't want to say any more other than you must pick up this read "Desperate Measures" to see how it will all come out. I found it was one good read.

Needless to say once I started reading I was not able to put down with a plot that moves so very smoothly...with intriguing scenes and all of my questions were all answered in the end from this well written novel.

I received a copy through NOR in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  arlenadean | Aug 3, 2015 |
coming soon!
  arlenadean | Jul 20, 2015 |
Kate must work to find the secret of the plants that she is working for no matter what the cost. She is working at keeping the fact that she has some of the plants a secret, but that secret becomes threatened when a co-worker comes over to help her paint. An accident forces Kate to move in with Patti and she finds even more secrets and more things to threaten the one thing that she wants most.
I liked how Kate was able to work around and with the obstacles that kept coming her way. She was able to persevere and handle what came her way no matter the cost.
I received this book free from the publisher to review. ( )
  polarmath | Jun 22, 2015 |
This was the third book in The Port Aster Secrets series. I enjoyed the story and recommend that you read the first two in the series to really have a good understanding of what is happening throughout the book. I have read the others and was confused a few times as to what was happening but then I would get caught up. This one had some romance and a bit of suspense. It kept me wondering as to who was really guilty. I received this through Revell Reads for a fair and honest opinion. Keep more like this coming. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 20, 2015 |

Researcher Kate Adams has finally pinpointed the medicinal plant responsible for tearing her family apart. She's certain that discovering its secrets is her only hope of solving the mystery surrounding the disappearance of her father. Kate will risk anything to find the truth--even her budding relationship with Detective Tom Parker. But more people than she can fathom are after the plants and going it alone just might prove to be a fatal mistake.

Award-winning author Sandra Orchard pulls out all the stops in this breakneck and breathtaking conclusion to the Port Aster series. Fans will not be disappointed by the surprises they find inside.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 20:44:57 -0400)

Researcher Kate Adams has finally pinpointed the supposed "miracle plant" that tore her family apart years ago. She's certain that discovering its secrets is her only hope of solving the mystery surrounding her father's disappearance. She's willing to risk anything to find the truth, including her relationship with Detective Tom Parker. But with so many people in pursuit of the plant, going it alone might be a fatal mistake.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible