A Flying Affair: A Novel by Carla Stewart

A Flying Affair: A Novel

by Carla Stewart

After taking a joyride in an airplane, Mittie finds a love of the skies. Through Ames, she discovers the joy of barnstorming and wing walking. Bobby, teaches her how to really fly, showing her the technical and navigational aspects of the plane. Mittie finds herself drawn to competitive flying, where she meets other women who share her interests.

I do have a few criticisms for this book. It was fairly slow moving. It took forever for anything to happen, and when it did, Mittie was injured and then nothing else happened for awhile. I would have liked to have read more about barnstorming and wing walking, which only lasted a few chapters in the book. Mittie did not feel like a twin, I'm not sure why that was put in. Despite the criticisms, I really liked Calista's character and found myself rooting for Mittie and Bobby. Not a bad book, but not one I would reread. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jun 25, 2015 |
Title: A Flying Affair
Author: Carla Stewart
Website: http://www.carlastewart.com/
Pages: 320
Year: 2015
Publisher: FaithWords
My rating is 5+ out of 5
What drew my attention to the novel was not only the possibility of a good tale, but the front cover showing a young woman with a vintage plane. As I started reading, I kept wondering if I had the right idea of the story after all. The author sets the stage carefully and slowly draws the reader into the scenes along with the characters, which together bring a wonderful tale of a young woman breaking out of expectations from family and society in an era where it was difficult for women to reach their dreams or see their aspirations become reality.
For Mattie two vastly different realms tugged at her heart, horses and airplanes. While her twin sister meets the expectations of society, Mattie rebels against anything that attempts to restrain her from reaching the sky! Mattie always believed she was homely looking and would never find true love or ever be successful in any endeavor. Mattie has fallen in love with a young man named Ames, but something keeps niggling at the back of her mind regarding Ames. Will Mattie be able to put her doubts to rest and have a future with young Ames or must she choose between breeding special horses versus flying!
Carla Stewart gives us a glimpse of women in history with some names readers will be able to quickly remember. I loved how Mattie’s family didn’t live a perfect or trouble free existence whether it was regarding family, horses or characters’ internal and external struggles. Audiences will love how a character who at first seems to be a supportive cast member is really an example of waiting for the one they love.
Sitting down to A Flying Affair was pure delight from start to finish. The trip to the past along with a glimpse into life for women in that era as we as the beginning of women in aviation was like icing on the cake, pure sweetness! Please join the fun in reading the adventure as written by Cara Stewart in A Flying Affair.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Mittie Humphreys is a girl with a lot of spunk, but she also has a lot of compassion for her fellow man and animals, especially horses. She also has a passion of flying, with Lucky Lindy, Charles Lindbergh, having flown his Sprit of St. Louis across the Atlantic, she is longing for the skies.
Mittie lives with her family on a Kentucky horse farm, and has a passion for showing horses, but her love of flying is pulling her. We have two main male characters here, and without realizing it, both are vying for Mittie’s heart.
The author has provided a lot of information at the end of the book, and characters although fictional are based on real people and real happenings. We face a lot of obstacles to woman flying, not surprising with the feelings at that period of time, we also meet head on some of the problems facing Mittie and females like her.
There is a bit of romance here, and as we read we wonder which of these young men will win her hand, and which one is the honest one. Who is sabotaging her horses and her planes? The answers really surprised me, and some of my questions were left up for me to solve
What a great read, keep me up late turning the pages, and really enjoying a story that could have really happened, just the way the author wrote.

I received this book through the Publisher Hachette and their Blogger Program, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jun 3, 2015 |

"Award-winning author Carla Stewart returns to the 1920s in this vivid historical novel about a female pilot navigating love and life. Daredevil Mittie Humphreys developed her taste for adventure on horseback, on her family's prosperous Kentucky horse farm. But her love of horses is surpassed by her passion for the thrill of the skies, especially since the dashing pilot Ames first took her up in his plane. When handsome British aviator Bobby York offers her flying lessons, he is equally surprised--and beguiled--by Mittie's grit, determination, and talent. Soon, Mittie is competing in cross-country air races, barnstorming, and wing-walking. But when Calista "Peach" Gilson, a charming Southern belle, becomes her rival in both aviation and in love, Mittie must learn to navigate her heart as well as the skies. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,759,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible