Wren by Regina O'Connell
312,001,085 (5)None
Recently added byjason9292, Ermina, PardaMustang
GR Import (1) magic (1) magick (1) Maicoh (1) priest (1) Song Masters (1) songs (1) to-read (1) Tork (1) Wihe (1) Wren (1)

Wren, by Regina O'Connell, is truly an unexpected jewel with the most humble of names. Don't be deterred by the 'recommended age'. This is a treasure that can be enjoyed by all ages.

In a world a blink away from our own, there lives a girl named Wren. This is an appropriate name for a fledgling magick user whose gift is to weave spellsongs. It's a gift that runs in her family.

Wren lives in a place that deems magick a bad thing. I love how it is described that magick once existed, but became the energy used to fuel technology. I found that a very interesting interpretation.

Given the history spoke of in the book, I think I would label Wren as a dystopia. Wars have led to an almost Dark Ages sort of living. I came to despise the domineering priest who leads Wren's village.

One of my favourite quotes, from the song Key to Twilight, is 'Auguries of destruction be a lullaby for rebirth.' Wren's story, thus far, has been one of heartbreak and loss, but also one of gain. Family lost, family gained. A home lost, a home gained, and with the gains comes another to help teach Wren how to use her magickal gift.

I fell in love with Regina O'Connell's Wren right away. Great description and overall writing draw you, and t questions raised as you go along will keep you wanting to know more. I absolutely adore that it is truly written in Wren's voice, that of a child bridging young adulthood.

This book is clearly intended to have a sequel and I can't wait! Brava, Ms O'Connell! ( )
  PardaMustang | Aug 17, 2015 |

I am special. My mother always told me this. My voice has power. From the moment I could, I sang. The songs I sang had power. That is how I came to be here in this small, gray cell. Now I am mute. I cannot sing or even talk. I try and there is nothing. I don't know what they have given me or done to me for this to happen. Singing is magic. Singing makes things happen. It can change your way of thinking; it makes you smile, laugh, or weep. For some, like me, singing is life. For some, like me, singing brings death.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 04 Aug 2015 05:22:33 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,283,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible