For Real by Alexis Hall

For Real

by Alexis Hall

God, I loved this book. Review to come when I don't have to rush it. ( )
  AddictedReader28 | Oct 20, 2017 |
London, today. A newbie dom who’s going nowhere in his job picks up a jaded sub with a brilliant medical career, and slowly figures out what to do with him. Told in alternating first person POV, with lots of sex and a slowly developing relationship. And once again I’m reminded that no matter the other elements, I’m almost always going to prefer f/sf; the conflicts and obstacles here were believable even though it was basically love at first sight, but ultimately this wasn’t really for me. ( )
  rivkat | Jul 3, 2017 |
What can I say. My first 5 star read for 2016.

This is my first read for this author and won't be my last. If you are looking for a spicy hot contemporary read that seems as though your reading something that is [b:For Real|25376011|For Real|Alexis Hall|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1429277460s/25376011.jpg|45123759] . This is it!!!

...just wonderful ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |
What can I say. My first 5 star read for 2016.

...just wonderful ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |

FGMAMTC Blog Review

For Real is the story of two men who are completely different falling in love. Laurie is 37 and jaded. He's pretty well-off with a decent job. He's a sub at heart but has difficulty handing over control or seeing the point in the lifestyle anymore. He's merely going through the motions. Toby is 19 and lost. He has no idea what he wants to do with his life. The only thing he knows for certain is that he feels the desire in his soul to be a Dom. No one takes his small stature and youth seriously.

Because the subjects are both into BDSM, I figured the storyline would be filled with wild sex scenes. I mean it does have these, but the approach is so different. The reader really gets an understanding of the training and emotional pull of the lifestyle. It's isn't all fairytale-ish. It's real which makes it beautiful. BDSM isn't the complete focus of the book. Life, death, love, family, career, direction, loss, acceptance. . . so many aspects play a role. Most of the standard conflicts of life are touched on.

After reading the first little bit, I didn't think this story was going to be that great. It kind of downplays everything compared to the usual overly enthustastic delivery of a lot of contemporary romance books. All the flaws are pointed out and nothing is romanticized. I thought it was refreshing but maybe it wasn't for me. I continued to read, and soon it hit me pretty hard. This book encompasses so much. It's philosophical. It's got that old school feel and staying power like Truman Capote and Oscar Wilde. I highly recommend it to someone wanting a deep read. If you're looking for flashy sexy super drama, it probably isn't for you.

4.75 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/05/for-real-by-alexis-hall-... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
“Take me to you, imprison me,
for I,

Except you enthrall me, never
shall be free,

Nor ever chaste, except you
ravish me

—John Donne”
"Look, I've come straight from work, and I've had a really long day, and I simply haven't had time to slip into a spiky collar or a mesh shirt or whatever else you deem necessary, to get into your haven of safe, sane, and consensual depravity."

Laurence Dalziel is worn down and washed up, and for him, the BDSM scene is all played out. Six years on from his last relationship, he’s pushing forty and tired of going through the motions of submission.

Then he meets Toby Finch. Nineteen years old. Fearless, fierce, and vulnerable. Everything Laurie can’t remember being.

Toby doesn’t know who he wants to be or what he wants to do. But he knows, with all the certainty of youth, that he wants Laurie. He wants him on his knees. He wants to make him hurt, he wants to make him beg, he wants to make him fall in love.

The problem is, while Laurie will surrender his body, he won’t surrender his heart. Because Toby is too young, too intense, too easy to hurt. And what they have—no matter how right it feels—can’t last. It can’t mean anything.

It can’t be real.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,249,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible