Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A…

Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue

by Sam Harris, Maajid Nawaz

About the authors: quoting from the book's dust jacket, "Sam Harris is the author of the 'New York Times' best sellers "The End of Faith,' 'Letter to a Christian Nation,' 'The Moral Landscape,' 'Free Will,' and 'Waking Up,' among other writings. Maajid Nawaz is the author of 'Radical' and a cofounder and the chair of Quilliam--a globally active think tank focusing on religious freedom, extremism, and citizenship." About the book: quoting from the book's dust jacket, "Remarkable for the breadth and depth of its analysis, this dialogue between a famous atheist and a former radical is all the more startling for its decorum. Harris and Nawaz have produced something genuinely new: they engage one of the most polarizing issues of our time--fearlessly and fully--and actually make progress.
"'Islam and the Future of Tolerance' has been the published with the explicit goal of inspiring a wider public discussion by way of example. In a world riven by misunderstanding and violence, Harris and Nawaz demonstrate how two people with very different views can find common ground." This work contains a list for further reading and is well indexed.
  uufnn | Feb 27, 2017 |
I was excited about this book when I read about it, but I'm happy that I got it from the library rather than purchasing it. I only got a little more than half way though. The topic interests me, but something about it annoyed me so I had to force myself to keep reading. It finally came to me: I didn't care for Sam Harris. He came across and self-centered and interested mainly in showing off how much he knows about religions and faith. Perhaps I am doing him a disservice because I don't know him, but that is how I felt about his half of the dialogue.

I also wish there had been some sort of introduction or context not just the exchange between Harris and Nawaz. I looked it up and found the conversation took place at Harvard last fall. There is a YouTube video of it which maybe I'll watch sometime. ( )
  Maya47Bob46 | Feb 7, 2016 |

Sam Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nawaz, Maajidmain authorall editionsconfirmed

In this short book, Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz invite you to join an urgently needed conversation: Is Islam a religion of peace or war? Is it amenable to reform? Why do so many Muslims seem drawn to extremism? What do words like Islamism, jihadism, and fundamentalism mean in today’s world?

Remarkable for the breadth and depth of its analysis, this dialogue between a famous atheist and a former radical is all the more startling for its decorum. Harris and Nawaz have produced something genuinely new: they engage one of the most polarizing issues of our time―fearlessly and fully―and actually make progress.

Islam and the Future of Tolerance has been published with the explicit goal of inspiring a wider public discussion by way of example. In a world riven by misunderstanding and violence, Harris and Nawaz demonstrate how two people with very different views can find common ground.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Jul 2015 17:24:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,111,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible