Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den by…

Simon Thorn and the Wolf's Den (2016)

by Aimée Carter

A thrilling debut in the tradition of Rick Riordan and Brandon Mull about a boy who discovers a secret race of animal shape shifters.

Twelve-year-old Simon Thorn’s life has never been easy or normal, but things like being bullied at school and living in a cramped Manhattan apartment with his Uncle Darrell are nothing compared to his biggest secret: He can talk to animals.

But when his mom is suddenly kidnapped by a herd of rats, Simon finds out that he, his mom, and his uncle are all Animalgams—people born with the ability to change into an animal at will.

In search of his mom, Simon discovers the Animalgam Academy based at the Central Park Zoo. There he learns about the fractured five kingdoms that make up this secret world . . . and realizes he may be the only one who can save it.

This action-packed page-turner is perfect for fans of the Spirit Animals and The School of Good and Evil series.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
A 4.5 star book ( )
  mal2012 | Mar 9, 2017 |
An exciting new series about a shape-shifting boy and the secrets that surround him. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
This novel is paranormal.

Simon Thorn is bullied--partly because he seems strange, for he talks to animals and they talk to him. He lives with his uncle, but Simon won’t tell him that he speaks to animals. Simon’s mother visits occasionally, but it’s mostly just Simon and Darryl. Simon especially likes his pet mouse. He does have one sort-of friend, but mostly Simon is lonely and bullied.

One day his mother comes to visit and chaos breaks loose. An eagle has been trying to get Simon to follow him. When Darryl and his mother figure out what’s going on, they urge him to pack up and they will leave NOW. Before they can leave, rats arrive. Thousands of rats. They kidnap Simon’s mother. Now, Simon must rescue his mother. He now knows that he is an Animalgam--people who can talk to and transform into animals. There is a battle going on between animal kingdoms and Simon has been hidden away with Darryl and his mother protecting him. The problem is that Simon doesn't know who to trust in the animal kingdom because of a war he doesn’t understand. He’ll need help and quick lessons, but he must rescue his mother before she is murdered.

I do not like animal books, especially animals who talk unless it’s entertaining. This novel is pretty good. If you like Ranger’s Apprentice, Percy Jackson, or the Erin Hunter books, give this a go. ( )
  acargile | Aug 8, 2016 |
Wow an amazing book the layout of the story and how it unraveled as I read this story it takes you in turns you around & around and then takes you for the wild ride of your life & one you won't forget a wonderful story in wish I enjoyed reading tremendously and do so hope to read more books from the author. Truly a fabulous gift from the amazing author my thanks to the author Aimee Carter for the privilege & the wonderful pleasure of reading her wonderful book yes I do give this book 5 stars I would give it more if I could so I will be so delighted to recommend this wonderful book to my friends so yes happy, happy reading to all from wee me. ♥ ( )
  weelinda | Mar 23, 2016 |
A papa
Toc toc. Toc toc toc.

Simon Thorn, twelve, is able to talk with animals, but when his mother is kidnapped by a herd of New York City rats he learns he, his mother, and his uncle are all Animalgams--able to change into an animal at will--and that Simon may be able to save the beleaguered Five Animal Kingdoms.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,903,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible