Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop: A Modern…

Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop: A Modern Guide to the Ancient Art of…

by April Vollmer

I have always been interested in Japanese Woodblock print because of the Ukiyo-e art. It is very distinct and beautiful. I am amazed by Hokusai's works. And I only knew about Utamaro because of the postcards I got.

Like the delicate art of mokuhanga, the bit by bit information I got from this book was interesting. This book made it easier for me to understand the mokuhanga and learn beyond the topic. It covered everything: the origin, history, print types, materials, new and old artists, and procedures. It also includes photos, links, and sources which is very helpful for the readers.

I am far from a woodblock artist but maybe I could try it in the future. The art requires dedication. For now I am content with carving rubber stamps lol. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
This is a book for a very specific audience: Experienced printmakers who are interested in expanding into mokuhanga. It is a "how-to" book that is too advanced for beginning printmakers and not overly interesting for the general reader who is interested in mokuhanga as an art.

For the experienced printmaker, however, this book is a wealth of information written in crystal-clear prose. The book is loaded with details on knives and sharpening stones and paper and home-made sizing, and as such is an invaluable resource.

I received a review copy of "Japanese Woodblock Print Workshop: A Modern Guide to the Ancient Art of Mokuhanga" by April Vollmer (Ten Speed) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Aug 5, 2015 |

A Modern Guide to the Ancient Art of mokuhanga

An increasingly popular yet age-old art form, Japanese woodblock printing (mokuhanga) is embraced for its non-toxic character, use of handmade materials, and easy integration with other printmaking techniques. In this comprehensive guide, artist and printmaker April Vollmer—one of the best known mokuhanga practitioners and instructors in the West—combines her deep knowledge of this historic printmaking practice with expert step-by-step instruction, guidance on materials and studio practices, and a diverse collection of prints by leading contemporary artists. At once practical and inspirational, this handbook is as useful to serious printmakers and artists as it is to creative people drawn
to Japanese history and aesthetics.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 05 Aug 2015 10:58:17 -0400)

"An inspirational how-to course on Japanese woodblock printing's history and techniques, with guidance on materials and studio practices, step-by-step demonstrations, and examples of finished works by modern masters of the medium as well as historic pieces. An increasingly popular yet age-old art form, Japanese woodblock printing (mokuhanga) is embraced for its non-toxic character, use of handmade materials, and easy integration with other printmaking techniques. In this comprehensive guide, artist and printmaker April Vollmer--one of the best known Japanese woodblock printing practitioners and instructors in the West--combines her deep knowledge of the historic printmaking practice with expert instruction and presents a collection of diverse and gorgeous prints by leading contemporary artists in the medium, as well as her own work. At once practical and inspirational, this handbook is as useful to serious printmakers and artists as it is to creative types who are drawn to Japanese history and aesthetics and are looking to experiment in other media"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,551,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible