A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson

A Man of Some Repute

by Elizabeth Edmondson

Series: A Very English Mystery (1)

I wonder where this series is going. There were some loose ends in this mystery that were not tied up (like the missing notebook). The title of the next book appears to address the inheritance issue. I think I will like getting to know these characters better. Nice light cozy mystery. Not a lot of depth, but a lovely diversion. ( )
  njcur | Feb 6, 2018 |
Hugo Hawksworth was wounded in service to his country. It is 1953 and Hugo and his sister have been given a job and a place to stay, which turns out to be a castle! Not only are they to live in a castle, but there is a mystery surrounding the disappearance of the former Earl, and possibly ghosts. All exciting news to the fourteen year old sister, and possibly interesting enough to pull Hugo from the misery of his damaged leg and loss of position.

This is in the same tone as the Golden Age of mysteries. I enjoyed it tremendously! Listening as I walked, it had me smiling at points for sure, and there were at least two times I laughed out loud. I will be adding this author to my short list. The mystery itself was not as complex a puzzle as the older ones, but good enough. My only beef was with the narrator, Michael Page. His female voices. Ugh. However, after I got over the Monty Python effect, we soldiered on. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 23, 2016 |
Murder mysteries are just not my genre, unless they're set in England and are written by British authors, and have some quirkiness in their formula.

This is a historical mystery set in immediately post-WWII England. While there are no sit-up-straighter surprises that leave a lasting impression, nor particularly distinctive characters, nor attention-getting writing, you can't go wrong if you're looking for a good bedtime companion that will allow you to go to sleep without nightmares.

A Man of Some Repute is reminiscent of Agatha Christie gentle village murder and mayhem spiced with a pinch of John Le Carre espionage novels. Enjoy it, but don't expect to remember it. Book one of a 2-volume series. ( )
1 vote Limelite | Jul 30, 2016 |
A Man of Some Repute - Edmundson -
audio performance by Michael Page
4 stars

It’s an English country house mystery. Except that it’s in a castle, in a country village, in 1953. The English are still licking their war wounds, and the Cold War is ongoing. There’s a body under the flagstones in the chapel. Spies, blackmail, fog and treachery; the story is standard fare. It’s a great setting and there are lots of likable characters. The best part is the audio performance. Michael Page gives depth and personality to each character and takes a pleasantly predictable mystery up a notch. This is the first in a series. I’m waiting for the next one.

(This book is on the current Amazon monthly deal list. And, no surprise, the second book is out at the end of the month.)
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
THIS WAS AN AUDIOBOOK. I loved, loved, LOVED this mystery set in a castle in rural England.
Lord Selchester vanishes one evening during a blustery winter snow storm while entertaining guests at Selchester castle. His body is never discovered and he is presumed dead. Several years later Hugo Hawksworth, an intelligence officer injured in Berlin, is reluctantly relegated to a desk job at Thorn Hall supposedly as "a statistician" and is offered lodging at Selchester castle along with his young, precocious sister Georgia (age 13). When Lord Selchester's body is discovered, Hugo sets about trying to piece together what might have happened to Selchester, and who would have wanted him dead. Lord Selchester's guests on the night of the murder were peculiarly uncharacteristic for a man of some repute; an actress, a photographer, a local businessman, and a few others who were practically unknown to one another. Why would a man among the ton include as guests somewhat ordinary people? Eager to dismiss the case rather than engulf the town in scandal, investigators are intent on pinning the crime on Selchester's dead son Tom Arlingham, and niece, Freya Wryton, since a heated dispute arose between Tom and his father on the night in question, and Freya and Tom, close companions, were seen leaving the castle together that night. Might they have circled back and killed Selchester? This is one theory, but as other characters and relations begin to surface with possible motives for murder, will that theory ultimately hold water?
A Man of Some Repute was an audiobook Daily Deal that I snagged and I am so glad I did. My first book by author Elizabeth Edmundson, it will certainly not be my last. The setting was intriguing and mysterious, and the characters were interesting and alluring, down to Freya's surly and temperamental horse, Last Hurrah.
Overall, the story was a solid English mystery done right, with an ending that surprised me. I'll be back for the next installment in the series. Highly recommended, especially to those who enjoy a good British mystery. ( )
  Lauigl | Feb 18, 2016 |

Elizabeth Edmondsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Page, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Remembering Paul
Peer Vanishes

Police are trying to trace the whereabouts of Lord Selchester, who walked out into a blizzard from his home, Selchester Castle, on Saturday and has not been seen since.

Truth is rarely pure and never simple…

The Castle’s faded grandeur hides a web of secrets and scandals—the Earl has been missing for seven years, lost without a trace since the night he left his guests and walked out into a blizzard.

Hugo is not convinced. With the help of the spirited Freya Wryton, the Earl’s niece, he is drawn back into active service, and the ancient town of Selchester is dragged into the intrigues and conspiracies of the Cold War era.

With a touch of Downton Abbey, a whisper of Agatha Christie and a nod to Le Carré, A Man of Some Repute is the first book in this delightfully classic and witty murder mystery series. [retrieved 10/04/2015 from Amazon.com]

"Truth is rarely pure and never simple...Selchester Castle in 1953 sits quiet and near-empty, its corridors echoing with glories of the past. Or so it seems to intelligence officer Hugo Hawksworth, wounded on a secret mission and now reluctantly assuming an altogether less perilous role at Selchester. The Castle's faded grandeur hides a web of secrets and scandals--the Earl has been missing for seven years, lost without a trace since the night he left his guests and walked out into a blizzard. When a skeleton is uncovered beneath the flagstones of the Old Chapel, the police produce a suspect and declare the case closed. Hugo is not convinced. With the help of the spirited Freya Wryton, the Earl's niece, he is drawn back into active service, and the ancient town of Selchester is dragged into the intrigues and conspiracies of the Cold War era. With a touch of Downton Abbey, a whisper of Agatha Christie and a nod to Le Carre, A Man of Some Repute is the first book in this delightfully classic and witty murder mystery series."--Back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,541,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible