Hot Feminist by Polly Vernon

Hot Feminist

by Polly Vernon

511,436,638 (2.5)None

While I like Polly Vernon's columns and agree with much of what she has to say about 'Hot Feminism' I ultimately found this book pretty disappointing. It has the same kind of feel you get with many a blogger who is handed a book contract - what works in short blog posts/columns doesn't work as a whole book.

Vernon's writing style comes across as a naff and contrived conversations between hip friends/ironic use of 'pop' culture style of writing which really starts to grate. Her attempt to describe a philosophy of feminism comes across more as 'here is how I like living my life; my excuse is it is my brand of feminism; don't judge me I am not judging you, okay'? Which does not a fulfilling read make. While she has some very interesting points about modern identity politics they are lost in the contrived style and attempt to dish out fashion tips. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Jun 5, 2015 |

Grazia columnist, Times feature writer (hair-flicker, Brazilian-waxer, jeans obsessive, outrageous flirt) presents a brave new perspective on feminism. Drawing on her dedicated, life-long pursuit of hotness - having dismissed many of the rules on 'good' feminism at some point in the early 90s - she'll teach you everything you ever wanted to know about being a feminist when you care about how you look.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible