Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith

Career of Evil (2015)

by Robert Galbraith

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: The entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson is excellent but this one, set during the Edinburgh Festival, may be my favorite. Like Galbraith/Rowling, Atkinson's Brodie series excels at making characters who are entertaining, fallible and fascinating.… (more)

English (128)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All (135)
A crime fiction novel by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym of J. K. Rowling) and the third in the Cormoran Strike series. When Strike's assistant, Robin Ellacott, is sent a severed leg by courier, he can immediately pinpoint three men from his past who could be responsible. The problem is finding them and keeping Robin safe. Meanwhile, Robin's calls off her engagement, her past comes back to haunt her, Strike must also confront some of his demons and someone is stalking Robin with the intention of dismembering her as soon as he can get her alone. A good read. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Nov 2, 2017 |
I'm not sure how much more I can go on about my love of Jo's Cormoran Strike novels without seeming like an obsessed Harry Potter fan who can't separate her favorite author's works. But they are so good! They provided a bridge to an entirely different genre I had never tried, and if Robert Galbraith hadn't been revealed as Jo's pseudonym, I never would have picked this series up.

While much darker and more gruesome than the previous two books, I have to say that Career of Evil is my favorite. It's incredibly gripping, and I enjoyed it every time I picked it up. While there was significantly less griping about Strike's leg and the pain it caused him, which I am glad for, instead that is replaced by an entire plot revolving around amputees! Yet for some reason, I didn't mind a bit. I did think that Robin's secret reveal was a little out of the blue, but am happy that it wasn't cast aside like it no longer affected her. I also found her relationship with Matthew and the on-again, off-again thing to be dull after awhile, but thankfully it rounded off nicely. The use of three different suspects was perhaps a tad much, especially since all three were given significant amount of text and I got lost with so much new information in such short periods of time, but that could be an indication of my brain's lack of capacity in detecting than the storyline. Still, Jo masterfully kept me guessing until the very end, and even when the killer was revealed I was second-guessing it and reviewing all the clues we had been given in my head. Perhaps it is because several crimes had been solved at once that was so overwhelming. Nonetheless, I loved this thoroughly and wait with anticipation until the Queen releases the next Strike novel. And even more of Robin, please! Can't wait for the adaptation! ( )
1 vote erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
Engaging murder mystery. Better than the first two books in this series. ( )
  JGoto | Oct 9, 2017 |
This Robert Galbraith guy has a bright future as a writer. :)

This third installment in the Cormurand Strike series is the best yet and very well done. I know it may be sacrilegious to say this, but I might like these better than the Harry Potter books. ( )
  Eric.Cone | Sep 28, 2017 |
When a severed leg is sent to Cormoran Strike’s assistant Robin Ellacott, the private detective immediately knows of three individuals from his past that could be targeting them and has murdered a young woman in the process. As the two coworkers search for the killer, they delve into each other’s personal lives and become closer than ever before. While the search is on, Robin plans her wedding and her relationship with her fiancé hits a rough spot. Strike is involved with a woman going through a divorce. I really enjoyed the insight into Strike’s past and the revelation about what caused Robin to drop out of the university. I also liked how vividly the minor characters were described. As with the other Strike novels, this offering is not for the faint of heart. However, if you love a good detective novel that explores the depravity of the human condition, this book is a great read!

Anna C. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I choose to steal what you choose to show
And you know I will not apologize --
You're mine for the taking.

I'm making a career of evil...

Blue Öyster Cult, Career of Evil
Lyrics by Patti Smith
To Sean and Matthew Harris,

Do whatever you want with this dedication,
but don't --
don't --
use it on your eyebrows.
He had not managed to scrub off all her blood.

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible - and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them... A fiendishly clever mystery with unexpected twist around every corner, Career of Evil is also a gripping story of a man and a woman at a crossroads in their personal and professional lives.
Cormoran Strike plays
a dangerous game of cat and
mouse with a killer.
(passion4reading)

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible--and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible