Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Career of Evil (2015)

by Robert Galbraith

Series: Cormoran Strike (3)

3,1471933,018 (4.04)235
When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible, and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on one of the suspects, Strike and Robin delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them.… (more)
    One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: The entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson is excellent but this one, set during the Edinburgh Festival, may be my favorite. Like Galbraith/Rowling, Atkinson's Brodie series excels at making characters who are entertaining, fallible and fascinating.… (more)

English (184)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (191)
Her detective series just keeps getting better!!! ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Her detective series just keeps getting better!!! ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Another winner in the Cormoron Strike series. This one ratchets up both the crime level and the tension of attraction between Strike and Robin, his assistant (though she is elevated to "partner" in this installment). There is a serial killer on the loose -- evident in that Robin has been sent a severed leg. Sure that it is someone from his past with a grudge, Strike must track down three thoroughly deranged men that he failed to bring to justice in the past: First off is his "stepfather" Jeff Whittaker, just years older than Strike, a wannabe rocker, druggie and leech whom Strike holds responsible for his groupie mother Leda's death of heroin overdose. Then 2 former mates from the service: Donald Laing who Strike helped discharge because of his depraved wife abuse and Noel Brockbank, pedophile and lowlife, never convicted because Strike had punched him during the investigation and Brockbanck suffered subsequent brain damage. One of these psychos now has Robin in his sights both for the pleasure of killing her and for the damage it would do to Strike. Meanwhile, Robin's once postponed wedding to Matthew is now just 2 months away and then it is off completely for awhile due to Matthew's continuing jealousy of Strike. Robin, for a time, chooses her job over her impending marriage, not necessarily for feelings for Strike -- though that is still teased along -- but for her genuine joy in the work and her amazing aptitude for it. More is revealed about her personal past, and with both her background in psychology and her experience of crime victimhood, she seems tailormade for the work. This book is more about cheering her on. Chapters of the investigation are titled with Blue Oyster Cult lyrics (now reduced to small-town summer fairs but at the peak of their popularity during Strike's youth) Creepy for sure and convenient for the killer. Other chapters are from the killer's p.o.v. and those are creepy beyond measure, but vague enough that it really could be any of the 3 men. Masterful plot development by Rowling. The ending comes with a bang -- and then another, so it is quite a surprise afterall. Again, not my usual fare -- so maybe I'm over-impressed, but a thrilling escapist read. ( )
  CarrieWuj | Oct 24, 2020 |
When a woman's severed leg is delivered to the office and the news of it plays havoc with the business, Cormoran has to rack his brain to figure out which of the unsavory people in his past would be capable of not only perpetrating the crime but to come up with the clever plan. This is the third installment in the Cormoran Strike series and thing just keep getting better and better. Not for the characters, of course, but for the reader; the main characters are engaging and likable and their relationship has a lot of great tension, the mystery itself has a great arc and the suspects are all equally suspicious until the dénouement, and the locale descriptions are good enough that the reader feels as if they're walking the streets with the characters. And the ending is SO good! I am so happy that Rowling keeps writing this series - she is a solid plotter and writer of mysteries and, if she plans on continuing the series in this manner, we're all better off for it. ( )
  -Eva- | Oct 23, 2020 |
Excellent and gripping mystery. I am crazy about Robin and Strike and their working/personal relationship. Some of the mystery plot dragged a tiny bit. So many stake-outs in this one! I cast and recast the movies in my head and after about half I couldn't put it down. I can't wait until #4 comes out! ( )
  klnbennett | Oct 7, 2020 |
I choose to steal what you choose to show
And you know I will not apologize --
You're mine for the taking.

I'm making a career of evil...

Blue Öyster Cult, Career of Evil
Lyrics by Patti Smith
To Sean and Matthew Harris,

Do whatever you want with this dedication,
but don't --
don't --
use it on your eyebrows.
He had not managed to scrub off all her blood.
“A leg?" repeated Detective Inspector Eric Wardle on the end of the line. "A fucking leg?"
"And it's not even my size," said Strike, a joke he would not have made had Robin been present.

Cormoran Strike plays
a dangerous game of cat and
mouse with a killer.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,511,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible