Career of evil by Robert Galbraith

Career of evil (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Robert Galbraith

Member:pflagg1991
Title:Career of evil
Authors:Robert Galbraith
Info:New York, NY : Little, Brown and Co., 2015.

Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (2015)

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (keywestnan)
    keywestnan: The entire Jackson Brodie series by Kate Atkinson is excellent but this one, set during the Edinburgh Festival, may be my favorite. Like Galbraith/Rowling, Atkinson's Brodie series excels at making characters who are entertaining, fallible and fascinating.… (more)

English (160)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (166)
Perhaps not quite as convincing as the earlier books. I always struggle when the target of the villain is the detective. Unless you're actually the Batman, the chances that you will have done enough to generate your own nemesis are slim.

I like Robin. I think she's complex and no pushover, but I could do with slightly less hand-wringing and crippling self doubt.

At least there's some real detecting going on here, although there's also a fair amount of accidentally bumping suspects and not recognizing them immediately.

I guess I'll stick with these as long as she keeps writing them. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Private detective Cormorant Strike knows of 3 possible suspects when a severed leg is sent to his office. With the help of his assistant Robin, they set about finding the perpetrator. Any easy entertaining ctime story with a bit of romantic tension thrrown in. ( )
  TheWasp | Feb 10, 2019 |
In her third crime novel written under the soubriquet of ‘Robert Galbraith’ J K Rowling continues to plumb the darker recesses of human evil. It opens with Robin Ellacott, assistant to private detective Cormoran Strike, signing for receipt of a large package as she arrives at their office. Unusually, it is addressed to her personally rather than to the business, which makes it all the more shocking when she opens it to find a severed leg. There is no message beyond a note bearing a quotation from an obscure Blue Oyster Cult song.

This bizarre episode is merely the start of a particularly grim and gory story, in which Cormoran Strike is forced to consider various episodes from his own colourful and frequently traumatic past. He identifies four characters from different aspects of his past who might hate him to such an extent that they might be prepared to kill women simply as an adjunct to their campaign against him. The reader is then plunged into an intricately unfolding storyline that sees Robin and Strike travelling all over the country, following seemingly viable clues that metamorphose into red herrings. Meanwhile, not only do they have to try to keep their existing cases active, as their business is constantly in threat of economic demise, but Robin has to cope with the additional complication of a major hiatus in her relationship with Matthew, her fiancé. This becomes one of the major props of the story, leaving the reader to speculate whether anything might develop between her and Strike, who clearly has immense regard for her, or whether she will go back to Matthew.

While the story is constructed very cleverly, and all of the relevant clues to the eventual denouement are there (not that I spotted them all), my principal sensation after finishing this novel was one of relief. It seemed to go on for ever, and towards the end I could scarcely remember a time when I wasn’t reading it. That sheer size and complexity is, of course, a testament to Rowling/Galbraith’s skill at plotting, but I found it rather wearisome.

I was given the latest Cormoran Strike novel, Lethal White, for Christmas, but I wonder whether I might need to invest in a course of vitamin supplements to sustain me through it. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Jan 20, 2019 |
There was a lot that I liked in this book. I did figure out the killer, but that's because the mystery was fair, and I didn't realize it until fairly well into the book. The central mystery plot was gripping, and I liked how I learned more about both Cormoran and Robin through their experiences of the case. I continue to be less enthralled by the strained triangle like relationship between Cormoran, Robin, and Matthew, but that was a minor downside. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jan 9, 2019 |
I think I liked this one the best of all of Rowling's, pardon me, Galbraith's, whodunits, although I still feel her talent is being somewhat wasted on writing this kind of stuff, which everyone and their grandmother is already doing anyway.

The case is fairly interesting, despite being a bit heavily Jack the Ripper-ish, but what elevates it in my eyes is the improvement in character portrayals, which are more believable, relatable, less annoying. It also helps that there is less gore in this one, that's a big plus in my book any day.

While I still wish she would switch genres back to either fantasy or else brutal British social realism, I guess Ms Rowling *is* learning on the job, so I guess that means I'll keep reading. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
I choose to steal what you choose to show
And you know I will not apologize --
You're mine for the taking.

I'm making a career of evil...

Blue Öyster Cult, Career of Evil
Lyrics by Patti Smith
To Sean and Matthew Harris,

Do whatever you want with this dedication,
but don't --
don't --
use it on your eyebrows.
He had not managed to scrub off all her blood.

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible - and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them... A fiendishly clever mystery with unexpected twist around every corner, Career of Evil is also a gripping story of a man and a woman at a crossroads in their personal and professional lives.
Cormoran Strike plays
a dangerous game of cat and
mouse with a killer.
(passion4reading)

When a mysterious package is delivered to Robin Ellacott, she is horrified to discover that it contains a woman's severed leg. Her boss, private detective Cormoran Strike, is less surprised but no less alarmed. There are four people from his past who he thinks could be responsible--and Strike knows that any one of them is capable of sustained and unspeakable brutality. With the police focusing on the one suspect Strike is increasingly sure is not the perpetrator, he and Robin take matters into their own hands, and delve into the dark and twisted worlds of the other three men. But as more horrendous acts occur, time is running out for the two of them.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,485,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible