Storm in a Teacup (Ayala Storme Book 1) by…

Storm in a Teacup (Ayala Storme Book 1)

by Emmie Mears

102880,191 (3)None

At first, the narrator wasn’t sparking my interest. Her voice for the protagonist was very hard and sharp. I thought it was just me and after listening awhile, I decided it really was just me. The protagonist is a very hard and sharp woman who is in a difficult place. She has a mystery to solve and some difficult moral choices. Her employer is not exactly understanding a new hybrid demon/human because “it’s always been done this way.” Famous last words. Kill that which you do not understand.

The narrator doesn’t use much voice range in the characters, but it wasn’t a deal breaker. I didn’t like the narrator’s voice much when I first started listening, but as I got wrapped up in the story, the voice seemed to fit better and better.

The ending isn’t a cliffhanger, nor is it a happily ever after. It’s not death and mayhem, just moving on. I like the HEA much better, but it’s ok. Give it a shot. ( )
  NellOneBookTwo | Feb 4, 2016 |
Having seen Storm in a Teacup on Amazon and Goodreads several times, and being familiar with Amber Benson (narrator) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I decided to review the series for Audible Studios. While I had something of a rough start with the series, I’m glad I stuck with it.

Two things contributed to the rough start. First, the world-building didn’t go fast enough for me. I struggled to understand what Mediators were, what the Summit was, whether or not Ayala’s boss knew she had a second “job,” that nighttime hours were normal for Mediators, etc. World-building is important to me so I wanted to know more up front. I know plenty of people who would argue against me on this point, so I know it’s a subjective thing.

Second, the voice Benson chose to use for Ayala didn’t work for me at first. I’m not sure if the voice was an attempt at a Southern drawl or an attempt to portray a hard-ass attitude — both of which would be very true to the character, don’t get me wrong on that point; the voice was appropriate. But it was fatiguing to me as a listener.

These two things kept me from really getting into the story at first. But then the character Mason was introduced, and my interest level picked up. Mason brought the conflict to a personal level and let us see through Ayala’s “armor” a little.

By the time I was done listening to Book 1, I was used to Ayala’s “voice” and I was looking forward to Book 2, so I would call that a success. I’m eager to see where this series goes next.

**NOTE: At the time of publishing I have now listened to Books 2 and 3 and am hooked on this series!

Copy provided by Audible Studios in exchange for an honest review. Review courtesy of onebooktwo.com | one book, two reviews. ( )
  InvestedIvana | Jan 18, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,839,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible