Boy, Were We Wrong About the Weather! by…

Boy, Were We Wrong About the Weather!

by Kathleen V. Kudlinski

131723,089 (5)None

This book is a history book about weather; what did previous civilizations believe about weather? After each historical recount of weather beliefs and superstitions, the factual science we know about today's weather is presented. Ancient Greece and China are discussed, explorers from Spain, and even sailors of old. Weather facts are presented with colorful and detailed illustrations to support the science that we have come to discover and the myths we've debunked. The book also has portions of predictable text, "boy, were we wrong" or "boy were they wrong" that can help involve students in reading.
Media: pencil and digital graphics
Genre: Picture books, Historical fiction due to the nature of weather myths and beliefs that the book is centered on proving wrong through current factual scientific discoveries ("The ancient Chinese thought that if a dragonfly was seen flying up and down instead of sideways, it meant rain was coming"). ( )
1 vote JessicaRojas | Apr 14, 2016 |

“…This book is simple, attractive, and informative, and a take-off point for a discussion on the scientific method.”—School Library Journal review of Boy, Were we Wrong About Dinosaurs

Ancient Sumerian warriors used to think that lightning and thunder were caused by an angry weather god —boy, were they wrong!

Even today once common ideas about how our weather and climate work are changing as new discoveries are being made. Kathleen V. Kudlinski and  Sebastià Serra team up to debunk old—and sometimes silly—myths about weather and to celebrate the pioneers that made meteorology the science it is today.

This award-winning series is especially meant for the budding scientist and is perfect for children who are fascinated by the natural world and how it works.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 13:32:08 -0400)

"Examines what is known about weather--storms, predictions, climate, and other characteristics--and how different the facts are from what scientists, from ancient Sumerians to the recent past, believed to be true."--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,513,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible