Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Children of Time (edition 2016)

by Adrian Tchaikovsky (Author)

5202627,882 (4.11)39
Member:othersam
Title:Children of Time
Authors:Adrian Tchaikovsky (Author)
Info:Pan (2016), Edition: Main Market Ed., 608 pages

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

This was not what I expected, but in a good way.

I really enjoyed the exploration of the evolution of a species, and the intricate details of each generations' life given.

I also enjoyed seeing the lives of those on a generation ship, and the eventualities of it falling apart, and needing a repair crew, and next generations being born.

The whole story was really well done, and eventually came together in a way I wasn't expecting it to. I really liked how we saw the evolution of how the spiders got to the point they did, and the predictable response of the humans - it was very clever commentary.

Overall, this was a very intelligent book, and a great take on the human race. ( )
  jdifelice | Jul 31, 2018 |
Amazing world building on an uplifted world, as well as on a human ark ship. Gotta love the kudos to David Brin too. Easy to understand why it won the Clarke's award. ( )
  Guide2 | Jul 18, 2018 |
A really good classical science fiction novel. I thought it was a little longer than necessary (600 pages) or it would have gotten a 5 star review. The book goes through two separate stories of the humans on the ark ship and the evolving spiders in the planet. How they come together was a real page turner and ultimately a very satisfying ending. If you enjoy reading science fiction don’t miss this read. ( )
  hazel1123 | May 14, 2018 |
*sigh* I really wanted to like this book. I enjoyed the human story very much but the spider chapters felt like they were written by a different person. Exposition, exposition, exposition. I just didn't care. It felt like I was reading a school text book instead of a story.
It all came together with a good climax, but by that point I was more happy about finishing the book than I was about enjoying the story.
Obviously a talented author, but this didn't do it for me. ( )
  Jasecorn | Mar 4, 2018 |
exciting story but too preachy at the end ( )
  Claudia.Anderson | Nov 30, 2017 |
The concept of “uplift” has been around for a while; in this version, humans have destroyed Earth, and are making a last ditch effort to terraform a new home planet. The last stage of the terraforming includes uplifting some apes to serve as slaves for colonists via a nanovirus.

Alas for the humans, things do not go as planned. They accidentally create a planet of sentient spiders.
added by bug_girl | editWIRED.com, Gwen Pearson (Jun 17, 2015)

Adrian Tchaikovskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Herden, BirgitTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hudson, MelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Portia
There were no windows in the Brin 2 facility - rotation meant that 'outside' was always 'down', underfoot, out of mind.

Alas, Earth is Dead.
Space, the final frontier. Hey!
Form new Earth? UH OH. (Bug Girl)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 144727329X, Paperback)

WHO WILL INHERIT THIS NEW EARTH? The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home among the stars. Following in the footsteps of their ancestors, they discover the greatest treasure of the past age - a world terraformed and prepared for human life. But all is not right in this new Eden. In the long years since the planet was abandoned, the work of its architects has borne disastrous fruit. The planet is not waiting for them, pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare. Now two civilizations are on a collision course, both testing the boundaries of what they will do to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 11:25:28 -0400)

The last remnants of the human race left a dying Earth, desperate to find a new home. Following their ancestors' star maps, they discovered the greatest treasure of a past age--a world terraformed and prepared for human life. But all is not right in this new Eden. The planet is not waiting for them, pristine and unoccupied. New masters have turned it from a refuge into mankind's worst nightmare. Now two civilizations are on a collision course and must fight to survive. As the fate of humanity hangs in the balance, who are the true heirs of this new Earth?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,968,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible