Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye: A…

Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye: A Novel

by Tania Del Rio

fun read ( )
  cay250 | Jul 29, 2017 |
So, here's the thing guys -- I loved this book. It reminded me of Coraline or The series of Unfortunate Events. This was a fun middle grade novel with great writing that kept you guessing. The illustrations brought so much to the story and I'm really glad they were included because I don't think it would have worked nearly as well without them. Humor, puzzles, twists and turns. This is a book anyone would love. I would recommend it (and I can't wait for the next book in the series!). 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 25, 2017 |
I don’t usually really or review children’s books, but after getting a gander at the artwork for this book (I’m a huge Edward Gorey fan), I just couldn’t resist. And I wasn’t disappointed. The book is recommended for readers age 8-12, but us older folks can find a lot to like in the story as well.

Warren the 13th is a young, vaguely ghoulish-looking boy who helps to run the family hotel (The Warren), does all the odd jobs his ne’er-do-well uncle is too lazy to do, and tried to avoid his evil aunt, Annaconda. Since the tragic death of Warren’s father (Warren the 12th, obviously), the hotel has fallen into disrepair as Warren’s uncle ignores the place and his aunt tears the building apart looking for a legendary magical artifact, the All-Seeing Eye, which is said to be hidden inside the hotel.

When a mysterious new guest appears, the race to find the Eye is on. Warren will have to venture deep into the bowels of the unusual hotel and solve ancient mysteries in order to claim his rightful inheritance.

As I said above, I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations are wonderful and put the reader in an Edward Gorey/Tim Burton-esue mood. The story is simply told (it is for younger readers, after all), but not childish. Fans of more offbeat stories, like Artemis Fowl or A Series of Unfortunate Events will like this book.

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Warren the 13th and the All-seeing Eye is currently available for purchase. ( )
  irregularreader | Jan 21, 2017 |
I have never heard of these books before. Yet, now that I have discovered this series, I am in for all of the adventures with Warren. Warren is odd-ball but for all of the outcasts in the world, he is the likable hero. Plus, he is smart and everyone he meets (for the most part) does like him. Although, Warren is not the only other person that I enjoyed meeting in this book. There is Petula, Sketchy, Mr. Friggs, Beatrice, Rupert, and Chef Bunion.

I tried to figure out the mystery surrounding the All-Seeing Eye but I had no clue. Not that I was trying too hard to solve the mystery. I was really just along for the journey and fun. My nephews will enjoy meeting Warren as I have. The best part is that they can read this book on their own. The illustrations help to really bring this story to life. Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye is an enjoyable read for the whole family. I will be picking up the next book in this series. ( )
  Cherylk | Dec 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Warren the 13th has lived in his family’s hotel his entire life. Run by his lazy uncle, the building has fallen into disrepair and hasn’t seen a visitor in five years. Apart from trying to keep the place together, Warren is also busy thwarting his new aunt from her obsessive search for a legendary family heirloom, the All-Seeing Eye. One day after cleaning up after her destructive behaviour, a stranger wrapped in bandages checks in. From that moment on his life will never be the same again.

The gothic art style is reminiscent of Edward Gorey and the illustrations not only helped set the mood but were also essential in the telling of the story. Every chapter has a title page with gorgeous typography and artwork that hint at what’s to come next. There’s also a secret message hidden throughout the book that spells out where Warren’s going next. This fit in with the mystery in the book as well as the graphical info in the illustrations.

This story is filled with a variety of quirky characters that lean towards the fantastical. There’s a witch who’s missing her voice, a pirate who only comes ashore every ten years or so, a creature who speaks in whistles and more. With each though we only get a taste of their background along with an illustration, leaving the readers wanting more. Part of the reason is the pace of the story. It moves so quickly that readers don’t spend much time with anyone apart from Warren. There could easily have been another hundred pages added onto the book to flesh out people and places.

Clearly this is only the beginning of Warren’s story as the ending was left open with several plot threads unresolved. It will be interesting to see where he goes next. ( )
  theduckthief | Nov 27, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Tania Del Rio's book Warren the 13th and the All-Seeing Eye was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tania Del Rio's book Warren the 13th was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,089,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible