Baba Yaga's Assistant by Marika McCoola

Baba Yaga's Assistant

by Marika McCoola, Emily Carroll (Illustrator)

I have always wanted too read book by Baba Yaga after I read the book Uprooted there are some reference about her in Uprooted, which by the way I just love Uprooted as well. So when I saw this graphic novel that has Baba Yaga in it I wanted to give it a go and read it since I am really into graphic novels lately. So I check it out from the library this book is a 3.5 star for me I didn't love it but I absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed it. My favorite part was how Baba Yaga was acting towards her would to be assistant Masha and giving her test to do and prove if she was a worthy assistant or not. And I really liked the silly and crazy test she gave and thoroughly enjoy how Masha acted on those silly and crazy test. Masa is a very cleaver girl which her grandmother told her plenty of Baba Yaga Stories so she is so ready for her own adventure with Baba Yaga as her future assistant if she past the test though. I absolutely love the artwork in this graphic novel it was very beautiful and creepy at the same time which is the way I like creepy novels to be like. The plotline was very unique and new for me, which this is the only graphic novel I have read with Baba Yaga in it so it was a refreshing book for me to read. The characters I thought were well rounded and well developed but I didn't feel any connection to any of them. But the writing style was beautiful and flawless that I just love reading every word in this graphic novel. All and all while I didn't love this graphic novel I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy it more than I thought I would. I would really like to read more books by Marika McCoola and Emily Carroll in the near future. ( )
  KatiriaR | Nov 3, 2017 |
Adorable~ ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
I found it a bit strange to see Emily Carroll’s illustrations paired with a rather sweet children’s story written by another writer. Maybe that’s because I’m used to her web comics and her own graphic novel, Through the Woods, which can be rather disturbing to say the least. Personal bias aside, Emily Carroll’s art and Marika McCoola’s words made for an unexpectedly effective combination.

Read the rest of my review at: http://fangirlisms.com/2016/10/book-review-baba-yagas-assistant/ ( )
  elgosh | Sep 12, 2017 |
Not being a fan of graphic novels, McCoola is accurate in creating Masha the moody teen character. Obedience, thinking out of the box and appreciation are a few of the important concepts taught in "Baba Yaga's Assistant" . to mention a few. The illustrations of course make each page visually pleasing. Recommended for young readers 7-12. ( )
  Jape200 | Dec 1, 2016 |
Baba Yaga's Assistant is a graphic novel written by Marika McCoola. This book is about a young girl named Masha, who wants an adventure. After she sees a help wanted add for an assistant for Baba Yaga she is on her way! Baba Yaga is a witch who is known for eating children. Not exactly the place you would expect a young girl to want to go. Throughout this book the story is told with these colorful images. Baba Yaga's Assistant was illustrated by Emily Carrol. I think she did an excellent job. This book is recommended for the juvenile age group as is based off of a Russian folklore.
  jennifer_french | Oct 30, 2016 |

Marika McCoolaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carroll, EmilyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Carroll, EmilyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076366961X, Hardcover)

Russian folklore icon Baba Yaga mentors a lonely teen in a wry graphic novel that balances gleefully between the modern and the timeless.

Most children think twice before braving a haunted wood filled with terrifying beasties to match wits with a witch, but not Masha. Her beloved grandma taught her many things: that stories are useful, that magic is fickle, that nothing is too difficult or too dirty to clean. The fearsome witch of folklore needs an assistant, and Masha needs an adventure. She may be clever enough to enter Baba Yaga’s house-on-chicken-legs, but within its walls, deceit is the rule. To earn her place, Masha must pass a series of tests, outfox a territorial bear, and make dinner for her host. No easy task, with children on the menu! Spooky and poignant, Marika McCoola’s stunning debut—with richly layered art by acclaimed graphic artist Emily Carroll—is a storytelling feat and a visual feast.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 19:33:00 -0400)

"Most children think twice before braving a haunted wood filled with terrifying beasties to match wits with a witch, but not Masha. Her beloved grandma taught her many things: that stories are useful, that magic is fickle, that nothing is too difficult or too dirty to clean. The fearsome witch of folklore needs an assistant, and Masha needs an adventure. She may be clever enough to enter Baba Yaga's house-on-chicken-legs, but within its walls, deceit is the rule. To earn her place, Masha must pass a series of tests, outfox a territorial bear, and make dinner for her host. No easy task, with children on the menu!" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,624,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible