Milo Speck, Accidental Agent by Linda Urban

Milo Speck, Accidental Agent

by Linda Urban

312357,052 (3)1

Milo's dad is a door-to-door fencing salesman who travels a lot and works long hours. Ever since his mom left them, he's mostly cared for by a 'grandmother' hired by his father's company. He's picked on by other kids and has a pretty pathetic life... until he falls inside the dryer while looking for a match to the weird sock he found, and finds himself in a land of ogres.

I kept waiting for this story to interest me, and it never did (and nearly stopped reading it several times). Granted, I'm not the target age group (which is probably around 8-11 years old), but I generally enjoy a clever and cute middle grade story. This one just never hooked me. Yeah, Milo's a sympathetic character, and the story tries real hard to be humorous. But it all fell flat for me. I thought it was woefully predictable - and I think a lot of kids will feel the same way. (I received an advance copy from Amazon Vine.) ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
This funny little chapter book is about a boy named Milo who leads a pretty ordinary life. One day, he's doing his chores and goes to get the laundry out of the dryer and is sucked into Ogregon (land of the ogres) and finds his dad's boss (who is not who Milo expected!), his dad, giant turkeys, ogres, and other kids who have been sucked into Ogregon. It's funny, mysterious, and adventurous. Kids are going to love this one. ( )
  imtanner2 | Jul 27, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0544419510, Hardcover)

When magic came to Milo Speck, it came in the form of a sock. “Figures,” said Milo.
So begins Milo’s adventure in Ogregon, a place populated with hungry ogres, dino-sized turkeys, kidnapped kids, and—Dad? What’s Milo’s regular-old salesman father doing in Ogregon? For that matter, how did a shrimp like Milo end up there? He’s no hero. He can’t help those kids. Right? But there’s no time for Milo to get the answers. After all, hungry ogres like nothing more than a tasty bite of boy, and what kid is going to stick around for that? A fast escape back home to Downriver is all that matters—until Milo realizes that what’s really afoot in Ogregon goes far beyond an ogre quest for snack food. And his own family may be somehow mixed up in the dastardly plot. But what can a small boy in a very big world possibly do about that?

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:08:58 -0400)

When Milo Speck enters Ogregon, a land populated with hungry ogres, enormous turkeys, children needing rescue, and his own, ordinary, salesman-father, his top priority is to escape--but only after thwarting a plot to turn children everywhere into ogre snack food.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible