The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor) by…

The Lost Heiress (Ladies of the Manor)

by Roseanna M. White

I don't normally gravitate towards Fiction set in the Edwardian Era- but what with the huge popularity of a certain TV series, it is becoming more popular in the Christian Fiction genre- and I did recently read another set a few years later.

I was not sure what to expect- having read nothing by this author before, but I had heard goood thigs about this. Generally, I was satisfied, even when listening the to audiobook at work and reading the EPub at home. There is enough romance, family drama and intrigue to keep the reader interested, as well as a hint of mystery.

My only complaints were that the mystery was perhaps drawn out too long- the characters could have acted on clues sooner- and a few mushy romance scenes (which get to me in any work). Also, in spite of some attempt to aviod them, I did notice the odd Americanism (the mention of 'pants' slipping in a couple of times, even though characters had used the approporate British-ism previous passages).
Otherwise, though, the story was well researched as the author's note makes clear.

Also, although I generally liked Brook, she could prove annoying, childish and pig-headed in places. Does a 'spirited and unconventional' woman always have to posess such traits- really?

Overall though, it was a pleasurable and satisfying read- even though at 15 hours the audiobook is on the long side.
I recieved my E-Pub version free from Bethany House via Netgalley for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive one and all opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Medievalgirl | Oct 4, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Ladies of the Manor series. It is a great beginning to the series. I fell in love with Brook and Justin right from the beginning. Brook finds out that the woman who raised her was not her mother and Justin helps her to find her real father. She goes there to live and get to know her new family. There had been pretenders before her so she had a rough time at first. There is mystery and romance throughout this book. I really look forward to reading the second in the series. I received this book from Bookfun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Apr 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me just say that this book was fun to read! From the mystery of Brook possibly being the lost Heiress of Whitby Park to the mysterious death of Brook's mother, this story is filled with questions that will keep you digging for answers until the very end of this novel.
That being said, I must mention that there is a scene in the book where a servant catches two of the characters in bed together. What is mentioned is only that a man was in a women's bed and nothing more. I'm a little disappointed that this was added to the story. But other than that one little section, this book was great.

***I received this book for free from LibraryThing's Early Reviewer Program. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Feb 22, 2016 |
Thursday, December 31, 2015
The Lost Heiress by Roseanna M. White, © 2015
Ladies of the Manor series, Book One

Summary: “In 1910 Edwardian England, a British-born young heiress raised in the palace of Monaco comes to Yorkshire, where mystery and tragedy threaten her very existence”— Provided by publisher.

My Review:

Uncertain of her destiny, Elizabeth Brook Eden leaves her home at Prince Albert's at the Palais Princier, in Monaco, to travel by train to assume her title of Baroness of Berkeley, daughter of Ambrose Eden, the Earl of Whitby. Arriving at Whitby Park, she is greeted by the Earl, his sister, Lady Ramsey, her daughters, Lady Regan and Lady Melissa, and the staff in perfunctory courtesy out-of-doors awaiting her arrival. She is the fourth such arrival proclaiming to be the lost daughter.

Rivalry awaits her as doubts surface, as well as chivalry between well-meaning admirers, or so it seems. One neighboring gentry (I refrain from calling him a gentleman, directly) is fine with being set aside, and puts his intentions on her ancestral-spurned cousin, assured that Brook is taking her place in line for inheritance.

My very favorite is Brook's father ~ he is so kind and believing, wise and perceptive. He has been separated from Brook since the ill-timed death of his wife. Their appearance is so much of a likeness that he is certain of her identity beyond filling a gap in his life.

Justin Wildon is steadfast and honorable, needing to put his duties before all else. Hoping that Brook will remain true to her feelings and not succumb to the attention of others, I applaud him in his decision-making that will wrap her in strength and endurance. They have known each other since her youth and she trusts him. He has given her free reign to be herself, nurturing her spontaneous talents and giftings that make her stand out as the true heroine.

There is plenty of adventure in this story of who-do-you-trust? Because their lives are thrust together, it is not easy for newcomer Brook to decipher well-hidden intent in friendship; for information, foe, or trusted ally? Those closest to her bear watching, but that would be several as they have an open house with coming and goings. Her character is so real and transparent as she follows truth and alliances are genuine with her. I liked her adventuresome spirit and willingness to accept others until proven differently over time. Being placed in a new situation, her upbringing shows the care and affections given her in her primary years that cemented her trust. Her stability leaned toward Justin as someone who knew her and watched out for her. She has walked into something that has been a mystery before her, as relations strive to retain what they feel is theirs. Safety is sought in prayer. As you become acquainted with the characters entwined, you will have to decide for yourself whom you will trust for the outcome.

*Thank you to Roseanna M. White and Bethany House Publishers for sending me a copy of The Lost Heiress for review. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Dec 31, 2015 |
Brooke has lived a simple life in Monte Carlo but has always longed for more. Her friend Justin, finds out something about her past that will change her forever. He announces that she a baroness . Her full name is Elizabeth Brook Eden, Baronness of Berkley. She needs to take a deep breath and absorb what she just heard. A baroness? What must she do now? Her father is eagerly awaiting to meet with her . Her adventure is about to begin, but is Brooke ready?

She hasn't seen her father since her the accident in a carriage that left her motherless. Brooke was taken away and has been longing to find out where her parents were and who she really was. Now as she prepares for the reunion between herself and her father, she must have many questions and perhaps a few butterflies in her stomach.

Upon her arrival her father is ecstatic to have his daughter home. But little does Broke know, there have been others who have tried to fool her father by saying they are his long lost daughter. Brooke's arrival casts doubt among some of the family and servants. Will she be able to convince everyone who she really is?

When her friend Justin gets devastating news that his father has perished in a car accident , he must fulfill his duty. He finds himself in England preparing to be the Duke of Stafford. As Brooje snd Justin become closer, a relationship develops that Brooke has longed for. They enjoy each other's company and feel comfortable with their newfound attraction towards each other.

The story is rich in history of the era and makes you feel as if you are there among the others watching royalty go about their daily lives. I loved the way the author describes the time period and brings a bit of mystery to the story.

It is a lovely story with a bit of romance, intrigue and a book that is hard to put down. As danger surrounds Brooke once more, can anyone save her? Will Justin be her knight in shining armor?

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Oct 25, 2015 |

Roseanna White Debuts Sparkling British Historical Romance

Brook Eden has never known where she truly belongs. Though raised in the palace of Monaco, she's British by birth and was brought to the Grimaldis under suspicious circumstances as a babe. When Brook's friend Justin uncovers the fact that Brook is likely a missing heiress from Yorkshire, Brook leaves the sun of the Mediterranean to travel to the moors of the North Sea to the estate of her supposed family.

The mystery of her mother's death haunts her, and though her father is quick to accept her, the rest of the family and the servants of Whitby Park are not. Only when Brook's life is threatened do they draw close--but their loyalty may come too late to save Brook from the same threat that led to tragedy for her mother.

As heir to a dukedom, Justin is no stranger to balancing responsibilities. When the matters of his estate force him far from Brook, the distance between them reveals that what began as friendship has grown into something much more. But how can their very different loyalties and responsibilities ever come together?

And then, for a second time, the heiress of Whitby Park is stolen away because of
the very rare treasure in her possession--and this time only the servants of Whitby can save her.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:49 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Roseanna M. White's book The Lost Heiress was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,919,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible