Just Like I Wanted by Elinoar Keller

Just Like I Wanted

by Elinoar Keller

1910537,190 (3.31)2

Adorable artwork. This book is visually attractive and Aya Gordon-Noy has managed to capture the essence of this story written by Elinoar Keller.

The artwork is mixed media. A combination of clever elements and bits of drawings that could have been made by a child. I think adults and kids will be charmed.

As for the text, it's okay. I found it to be a bit of a challenge as a read-aloud. And I can't help but think that this is a book where less might be better than more.

SUMMARY
The artwork is fabulous and the point of the story is great. I happen to have a child who's a perfectionist and while there are good aspects of this behavior there are also downsides. I think Keller's book gives adults an opportunity to open up a discussion about how 'we all make mistakes'.

If you have a child you want to open up a discussion about perfectionism this might be a good book to share.

Disclosure: review copy
  PamFamilyLibrary | Sep 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved the artwork. I am a huge fan of collage art and really like the books Eerdmans has been putting out for children since 2002. I found it interesting that this was a translation. I'd never received a galley before, so that was fun as well. ( )
  sarahlouise | Aug 5, 2015 |
Delightful! The main character may not be able to color within the lines, but her imagination makes each "mistake" into a masterpiece. ( )
  kimpiddington | Jul 23, 2015 |
A little girl wants to impress her teacher and her class by drawing a great picture but she messes up all of her attempts transforming one picture into another. Her ideas are imaginative and the cut-out illustrations inventive but the book is just not very attractive. ( )
  kyurenka | Jul 20, 2015 |
What happens when art doesn't work out the way you wanted? Change the focus. The message is important, but it's been done a lot.

This rhyming book has numerous lines where the meter is flawed, which takes me out of the story, personally. The pictures are bright and imaginative, but the writing left a fair amount to be desired from this reader.

Edit: learned that it is a translated poem. Tough job to do for a children's book. Too tough. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Jul 15, 2015 |

In this cheerful story, a young girl is determined to draw the perfect picture. But staying in the lines is hard to do! When she makes a mistake, she considers crumpling up the drawing and starting over -- but instead she decides to use the scribble to create something new. Soon her imagination takes her on a wild adventure as she fills her picture with wild horses, daring pilots, delicious candy, and flying pirate ships.

With energetic mixed-media collages that perfectly suit the story, this book will inspire readers to embrace their mistakes and unleash their creativity.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:42 -0400)

As she tries to create a perfect picture, a girl keeps drawing outside the lines but rather than give up, she simply transforms the picture into something new.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Elinoar Keller's book Just Like I Wanted was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,554,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible