Science of Swimming Faster by Scott Riewald

Science of Swimming Faster

by Scott Riewald

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you are able to really spend the time to understand and follow all the information in this book, I think it is really worth it. For a casual swimmer, or someone helping their kids, there is value, but not as much as with a more serious person. Human Kenetics did a good job of putting pictures and other visual adds in the book, but I think they could have done better in some of the earlier parts to make it easier for the casual swimmer to understand. Overall, more of a textbook than any other human kinetics book I have seen. However, given the intended audience, this makes sense, and rating this as a 4.5.
Note - I received a copy in exchange for an honest review of the book through the librarything early reviewers program ( )
  tomrnoonan | Nov 14, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book makes the theory and science behind the technical elements of swimming understandable to the ordinary mere mortal. Overall as a former competitive swimmer myself 20 years ago the book has brought my knowledge and skill levels up-to-date with current practice and trends based on scientific research conducted by the authors and their team. I will certainly use this book time and again in helping myself swim faster as well as with my son who is now at 6 years showing a keen interest in the sport. I received this book free from the early reviewers program though librarything.com in return for a review and I have to the best of my ability offered a fair review of the book. ( )
  thanesh | Nov 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Everyone who gets into the water to swim can benefit from even a light reading of this book. The section on nutrition can be used by anyone in any sport. The book is set up with various sections devoted to that particular topic so finding what you want to learn about is easy. I like that it can be used by the swimmer, the coach, the parent or just about anybody with no complicated high-tech ways of saying things. I was eager to be able to read this book since my son (10) is an avid swimmer and swims in USA Swimming sanctioned competitions (meets). This is a reference I am sure I'll be coming back to time and time again. I like everything about this book and feel I can easily recommend it to others, swimmers or not. I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. This in no way has influenced my opinion although seeing my son smile upon hearing he can learn ways to be faster sure has. ( )
  Jenn.S | Sep 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a highly readable book --if you don't mind some density-- about the basic science of swimming (and how that can be used to, well, swim faster). The initial chapters on fluid dynamics and technique --that is, the physics of swimming-- are good enough for me to use in my (college) physics class. The physiology chapters were a little dryer, and the nutrition and psychology chapters were a bit of a drag, but maybe they'd be more interesting to someone with more background in those topics. To be honest, I only skimmed the "special groups" unit, pausing with some interest over the "female swimmers" chapter but honestly, learning nothing that felt new.

The main thing I'd improve about this book is that the diagrams and particularly photographs were black-and-white and usually grainy (insufficient resolution) and therefore hard to see. When the text referred to specific details of how a swimmer was moving or holding a body part, this meant that the illustrations detracted from the reading. ( )
  jwpell | Aug 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Science of Swimming Faster is just about every Internet search I have performed on swimming in one tome. The target audience may very well be coaches and the elite circles of swimming, but the swimmer who cannot bear to put his face in the water will benefit as well.

Indeed, this book is a well-researched read with in-depth information for the youngest competitive swimmers through Masters, and including swimmers who have special adaptive needs.

Every start, every stroke, and every turn is meticulously explained. The physics as well as the physiology behind the swim is covered. Why did Janet Evans’ stroke work for her while the rest of us should bend at the elbow? We learned the ‘S’ pull as kids, but that is no longer the rule. There is a line graph somewhere in the book to show you why.

This is also one of the few books I have come across that goes into depth the finer points of fly, back, and breast as well. Breastroke, a hard enough stroke to teach a proper kick for, is explained down to the muscles that are taxed when elite athletes swim.

Dryland training, nutrition, tapering, ageing, and a myriad of other subjects are also covered in a well-organized fashion.

Some of the pictures are a bit difficult to see due to the small size, but that’s an easy work around.

It is obvious that this book was well researched. There are nearly 30 pages of references and an impressive compilation of contributors who work in various fields to create this swimming bible.

I received this book free from the early reviewers program though librarything.com in return for a review. This did not affect my review. ( )
  luvrunnin | Aug 12, 2015 |

In a sport where victory is often determined by a fraction of a second, it’s obvious why one of the most sought-after secrets is how to swim faster. However, as the world’s most renowned coaches, athletes, trainers, and researchers know, there is no secret—just science.

Science of Swimming Faster is a remarkable achievement—one that embraces, explains, and applies the latest science and research that has and continues to set new performance benchmarks in the sport. It is a one-of-a-kind resource:

• An easily understood repository of swimming research

• Insights distilled from great sport and exercise scientists, coaches, and swimmers

• A do-it-right reference for a host of techniques and tactics

• The most credible and widely used training principles and programs

• An analysis identifying key factors contributing to elite and world-record swimming performance

• An insider’s access to the strategies for training, tapering, fueling, recovery, and mental preparation being used with some of the world’s most successful swimmers.

With editors Scott Riewald and Scott Rodeo and a who’s-who list of international experts on the sport, Science of Swimming Faster offers you an unprecedented wealth of advanced yet accessible information on excelling in the sport.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:27 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott Riewald's book Science of Swimming Faster was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,050 books! | Top bar: Always visible