A Big Dose of Lucky (Secrets) by Marthe…

A Big Dose of Lucky (Secrets)

by Marthe Jocelyn

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think this book could have turned out better than it did. It had a really good premise, interesting and kind of unique, but for me anyway, the story dragged and I had a hard time caring very much whether Malou discovered her roots or not. I did like how the story progressed in fits and starts and Malou ran into dead ends with her research, like she would have in real life, but there wasn't much else I liked about the story. I struggled to finish it, though I admit I liked the ending because what happened was something that had literally never occurred to me.

I know this book is part of a series. Based on what I've read so far, I don't think I'm going to read any of the others. ( )
  meggyweg | Jul 26, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting historical fiction book, Malou, sets off from her life in an orphanage to make her way in the world and to maybe find her mother. It seemed odd to me that even in the 1960s that a 16 year old would be unceremoniously pushed out to make her own way...with no support net at all. That being said, she's a rather intriguing character and her journey is interesting.
  JulieBenolken | Mar 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A unique book from a unique perspective. I enjoyed A Big Dose of Lucky very much because it was not the usual young adult read. A young person of color surrounded by white society in 1960's Canada, Malou's brave search for answers about her background led her to new experiences. She faced road blocks and struggles carefully but with determination. I would certainly recommend this book to young people and adults alike. Thank you to Library Thing's Early Reviewer program for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. ( )
  sdbookhound | Jan 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An emotional and ultimately sweet novel that explores what it means to belong, to have a family, and to be an individual. As the parent of an adopted kid (though not an orphan), some of it was rather emotional for me. I enjoyed it, but would really like to hear from the perspective of people of colour as to if it spoke to them. ( )
  wosret | Jan 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Big Dose of Lucy was an easy and engaging read that I would recommend to teenagers and above. I liked how the plot was very forward thinking covering issues such as race, class, and sexual orientation without being too obvious about them. Though the plot was slightly unbelievable at times (a properly run home for girls is just sending children off into the world without any guidance? Probably not) it was fun to follow. I also liked how Malou gained friends and a place in the world by the end of the story.

I would be interested in reading the rest of the Secrets series. ( )
  SQbeth | Sep 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marthe Jocelyn's book A Big Dose of Lucky was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,979,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible