Divorced: Survival Techniques for Singles…

Divorced: Survival Techniques for Singles over Forty

by Joanna Romer

1061,265,517 (3.25)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The stories in this book are fascinating and give a great feeling of really knowing people as they struggle to live single, meaningful lives. There is advice sprinkled through the book but for me the beauty of this book is the way Joanna Romer has found such different and fascianting people to show that being single and over forty is barrier to living life to it's fullest. ( )
  FCClibraryoshkosh | Oct 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Reading heartfelt words from people who have faced this experience is both enlightening and helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend this book not only to people [of any age] who are going through/or have gone through a divorce, but also to people in relationships who are contemplating marriage. Not as a scare tactic, as in "this could happen to you"; but rather as a frank look at what went wrong in the lives and relationships of others which might allow an objective, contemplative look at some possible similarities in one's own relationships. I will be re-reading this one, probably more than once. ( )
  Cheryl-L-B | Sep 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I believe this is a good book for those men or women who are older and find themselves divorced or facing or even contemplating divorce. This book provides encouragement by mixing advice with real life stories from those that have gone thru divorce and came out better than before. This is a smaller book and a quick read. The author touches on important areas of self encouragement. Regaining self esteem, using prayer and learning to live alone. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone facing the reality of divorce. ( )
  realbigcat | Aug 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a twice divorced person and thought that this might be an interesting read since I'm a decade older in the dating world but the advice in this book is unsupportive toward women and just generally bad. You can find much better information on the web googling 40 and divorced. ( )
1 vote ShawnMarie | Aug 21, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a brief and easy read at about 130 pp. Each section is centered around a theme, and within a theme are the author's experience and advice about how to proceed as a divorcee, intermixed with the personal histories of individuals, which each end with their advice as well. At the end, one has received plenty of advice, and much of it is on-target and practical. However, as a divorce survivor myself at age 40 and having experienced major emotional trauma lasting for a period of years afterward, I feel the author paints divorce as just a minor setback, like, for example someone just lost their job, not the entire center and purpose of their life. In her effort to lift the spirits of her intended audience, she tends to makes it all sound a little overly cheery and easy to overcome. ( )
  grammargoddess | Aug 8, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joanna Romer's book Divorced: Survival Techniques for Singles over Forty was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,626,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible