Shattered Glass by Teresa Toten

Shattered Glass

by Teresa Toten

1960 (1) 2016/17 release 2 (1) ARC (1) brand (1) Canada (1) canadian author (1) Early Reviewers (3) fiction (3) historical fiction (1) June 15 (2) LTER (1) music (1) mystery (3) orphan (1) orphans (2) read (1) read in 2016 (1) Serie (1) teen (1) to-read (1) Toni (1) Toronto (1) tstl (1) YA (3)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fairly enjoyable read, aimed at a younger audience than my age group, but still worth reading. It is part of the 'Secrets' series, a series of seven linked novels that can be read in any order, each one written by a different author and focussing on one of seven orphans whose lives change after the orphanage they live in burns to the ground. 'Shattered Glass' followed Toni on her journey of discovery, which took her to Toronto in the early 1960's. Some of the characters were great and made the book worth reading. There were some quite humorous moments, a few that were tense, and enough to make it intriguing and engaging. I'd be interested to read the other books in the series, especially if they are as good as this one. ( )
  wcs53 | Feb 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was intrigued about the premise of a series of books centering on a single event--the fire in an orphanage--and was excited to get Shattered Glass (Secrets) to begin the series. I found the story intriguing and thought there were many interesting characters (including a very colorful landlady, Grady, who made me laugh each time she entered the scene). I thought Toni, the main character, was a bit TOO naïve, but I enjoyed her story and plan to read the other stories in this series. ( )
  BedOfRoses | Jan 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Shattered Glass is part of the Secrets series, in which each book is about different orphans. The target audience is ages 9-12, and I think that this book is appropriate for that age group. As an older reader, the story felt contrived and clichéd, but I think that younger readers would truly enjoy reading it. I had a hard time connecting to the main character, but younger readers might not have the same issue.
  welburr | Dec 26, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Shattered Glass follows the story of Toni Royce, an orphan on a mission to reveal the mysteries of her past. Her journey takes her to Toronto, where she meets colorful characters in Toronto’s music scene and discovers her own place in it. Shattered Glass is part of a series of novels that do not need to be read in any particular order. Toni is one of seven orphans set adrift after a fire destroys their orphanage. Given three clues to her past, Toni sets out to find a family she never had any interest in knowing.

Shattered Glass is best read by its target audience of readers 9-12. It has little to offer older readers, but I like the idea of seven interconnected novels and it was entertaining enough, if predictable in its plotting and use of tropes. The main character isn't all that interesting, but she is surrounded by a few colorful, more well-developed characters. ( )
  gofergrl84 | Sep 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, the description sounded interesting...

I thought this would be a fast, easy read. It took me days and days to read it because I kept putting it down and walking away. Not an attention grabber, this one.

Main character, orphan named Toni. Sheltered orphan, knows nothing about the world, yada, yada. I don't think that even a sheltered orphan would be as naive and gullible as Toni is portrayed. The whole thing felt contrived and strained. The naivete got to the point where it just came across as stupid and I definitely don't think she was supposed to be stupid.

The rest of the characters in the book were great. They felt real, their actions made sense, they flowed normally.

I'm not sure where the developmental disconnect between the main character and the rest of the characters happened, but it would have been a much better story if there was some synergy.

I will definitely NOT be reading the rest of them. ( )
  808anela | Aug 19, 2015 |

Toni has always had nightmares about fire, and she also has burn scars but no idea how she got them. So when fire destroys the orphanage she has grown up in, she is ready to make her way to Toronto, where she hopes to discover the truth about the mother she believes hurt and then abandoned her. Toronto proves to be both daunting and exciting for Toni, whose charm and innocence attract attention?not always positive?wherever she goes. Buoyed by the music she hears at the folk club where she finds a job, and encouraged by her glamorous landlady, Toni unearths shocking information that contradicts everything she believes and makes her re-evaluate what she feels for all the new people in her life.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Teresa Toten's book Shattered Glass was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible