Small Bones (Secrets) by Vicki Grant

Small Bones (Secrets)

by Vicki Grant

I got an ARC of Small Bones awhile ago but I misplaced it. As soon as I found it I picked it up and read it. I am so happy that I finally found it and read it because it was good.

I’m not exactly sure why, but for some reason I wasn’t expecting much from this book. I honestly have no idea why that is. Maybe that is why I liked it as much as I did. When I first finished it I gave it four stars, but as I started writing this review, I dropped it down to three.

It was a fast read because I didn’t want to put it down. I wanted to know who Dots parents were and what happened the night she was born. I also loved Eddie. He was really funny and super adorable.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and would love to read more by this author. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Dec 28, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this copy of Small Bones by Vicki Grant (2015) through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program quite some time ago but, to be honest, kept putting off reading it since the cover looked so chick-lit-y. This, my friends, is another case of "don't judge a book by its cover," because instead of an insipid chick lit romance, what we have here is a compelling coming-of-age mystery with some great characters and a satisfying twist. Dot grew up in an orphanage in Ontario -- she was left on the doorstep wrapped in a man's coat as a premature baby during WWII. She is happy enough at the orphanage until the place burns down and 17-year-old Dot is sent out into the world to make it on her own. It's 1964 and she heads to the resort town listed on the tailor's label of the coat she was found in. She gets a job as a seamstress at the resort, and doesn't tell anyone what she is doing there. The book is a page turner with nicely placed clues and good characterization. Dot in particular is a perfect young adult -- a mix of confident and awkward, she is extremely endearing. The final answer to the mystery of Dot's parents involves a twist that I didn't see coming until it was on me. The book moves to the twist logically and it ends up feeling satisfying and not like a trick on the reader.

[full review here: http://spacebeer.blogspot.com/2016/06/small-bones-by-vicki-grant-2015.html ] ( )
  kristykay22 | Jun 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Part of a series of books about seven girls who are thrust out into the world when their orphanage burns down. In Small Bones, we meet Dot who is seeking her father based on the jacket she was found wrapped up in when she was left on the orphanage steps 17 years before. Dot travels to the small town of Buckminister and there finds more than she anticipated.
A nice mystery and romance for younger teens. ( )
  Deedledee | Sep 5, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When the orphanage she grew up in burns down, 16-year-old Dot is sent to make her own way with $138 in cash and some hand-me-down clothes. She also has the man's coat she was wrapped in when she was dropped at the orphanage and determines to go search out her father in the small town where the coat was made. ( )
  lilibrarian | Aug 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This author reminds me of Harper Lee. "Small Bones" by Vicki Grant is such a great read for 12+ audiences! An artful mystery unfolds in Buckminster, a cottage community where wealthy teens go to work and learn the value of a dollar.

Written in first-person point of view we meet Dot a young seamstress whose life must change in order for her to have the dignity she deserves in life.

Like stitches being unsewn, stitch by stitch, the story of Dot, an orphaned child and now grown teenager is revealed. Dot loses the only home she's ever known in search of one she can claim. Similar to Red Riding Hood on her journey, Dot meets characters who bring her closer to her fate while also discovering her first love, Eddie.

First love is handled so innocently and tastefully and is embedded in Dot and Eddie’s sense of conflict, purpose and adventure unlike much fiction targeting 12+ audiences. It was refreshing to watch Dot grow and change in ways only deeper emotions can foster.

What doesn't earn the suspended half star is that the connections between characters is fuzzy and somewhat weakly drawn. At times, the story reads like Grant couldn't make a clear antagonist choice and it becomes hard for a 12+ reader to maintain who's who during the resolution of the story. During the story resolution, a letter is included which deepens the story structure and laces loose ends up nicely for a young adult who may get lost in the story.

I am looking forward to reading the other books in the “Secrets” series to see where they intersect and depart. ( )
  BetsyKipnis | Aug 20, 2015 |

Dot, whose name reflects her stature, has always had big dreams?but her dreams have to be put on hold while she searches for the truth about her parents. She gets a job as a seamstress at a lakeside resort in rural Ontario and falls hard for Eddie, a charming local boy who is equal parts helpful and distracting as Dot investigates her past. Searching for answers to questions about her birth, Dot learns more than she ever wanted to about the terrible effects of war, the legacy of deceit?and the enduring nature of love.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Vicki Grant's book Small Bones was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,150,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible