My Life Before Me (Secrets) by Norah…

My Life Before Me (Secrets) (2015)

by Norah McClintock

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A young orphan goes out into the world to make her fortune, and detours to find her origins. I really liked the narrator, although I was a bit distracted by the casual country hopping. Didn't Canadians in the 1960's think of the US as a separate country?

I'm a little interested in seeing the other books in the series, although I can't see how much overlap they will have, as I think they all start with the orphans getting thrown out on their own. I liked how Cady kept pushing to figure out the mystery, and how it was personal for her but she kept pushing that down and being objective about things. ( )
  ejmam | May 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like the idea of a group of stories that work together, but aren't essential to one another. This YA mystery was a pleasant read, though I didn't really get swept up in it. The fact that Cady works for a newspaper was nice for me, since I, too, have worked as a journalist. ( )
  swingdancefan | Mar 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When the orphanage Cady grew up in burns down, she travels to Toronto to work and achieve her dream of becoming a reporter like her hero Nelly Bly. But being 1964, the gritty newspaper world is not hospitable for plucky young women and she sets on a plan to dig up a great story to get a toe in to the field.

She begins with her own mysterious past, the only clue being a torn newspaper clipping with the photo of a desecrated grave. Her search leads her to a small town in Indiana, where she discovers a secret murder with hints of KKK involvement. A fun YA mystery that handles the race issues of the time period fairly well. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved the concept of this series- an orphanage burns down, each of the teenaged orphans are sent out into the world with some money and an envelope containing what they arrived at the orphanage with. What a great mystery! I also loved that it was set in 1964, giving it a historical bend.

This story is an engaging adventure with many twists and turns. A few sections were tough for me to swallow, in particular the section at the cabin seemed difficult to buy, but overall it was a good story, I liked the characters and the ending was not overly predictable. I wish the reading level was just a touch lower. As a school librarian, I feel like this story would have been good for my older strugglers if it were just a bit easier. ( )
  pdill8 | Oct 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
MY LIFE BEFORE ME is a mediocre book that seemed to drag on a bit before speeding up quickly at the end. It might be good for students who love mysteries, but as an adult reader, this one didn't really hold my attention. ( )
  shootingstar2428 | Sep 30, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145980662X, Paperback)

Cady has always wanted to be a reporter, like her hero Nellie Bly, so after a fire burns down the orphanage she lives in, she’s ready to leave small-town Ontario and make her mark as a newspaperwoman. A crumbling newspaper clipping leads her to Orrenstown, Indiana, where her investigation into a long-ago murder earns her a hard lesson in race relations. Smart and determined, and more than a little headstrong, Cady pokes a stick into a wasp’s nest of lies, dirty politics, corrupt law enforcement and racial tension—and ends up fearing for her life as she closes in on something she’s never cared about before—the truth about her own origins.
   Part of the SECRETS—a series of seven linked novels that can be read in any order.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:00:52 -0400)

Would-be reporter Cady investigates racism and family secrets in a small Indiana town.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Norah McClintock's book My Life Before Me was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,742,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible