My Texas by Matt Koceich

My Texas

by Matt Koceich

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Matt Koceich has done a fantastic job of creating a workbook about Texas. It contains a wealth of information about all aspects of the state--history, geology, climate, wildlife and plants, agriculture and industry, and places of interest. Each page is artistically illustrated with graphics, drawings, and photos, and "My Texas! Big Facts" add interesting tidbits of information throughout the book. Lots of fun and creative activities serve to totally engage the student in the facts being presented. Other than a couple of very minor errors (the state song is not "Deep in the Heart of Texas" but rather, "Texas, Our Texas," and in the lyrics of "Deep in the Heart of Texas", the "dogies (motherless calves) bawl"--not "doggies") this is a great little book, with a wide range of good information, fun facts, and engaging activities that would enhance any Social Studies program or provide an introduction to or refresher on the Lone Star State for anyone of any age! ( )
  litlady121 | Jun 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an activity book about Texas. If you needed to find out something about Texas, this book has a lot of information. If you are a fan of Texas, this little workbook is sure to remind you of why Texas is so great.
  stined | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
MY TEXAS, by Matt Koceich, is an interactive workbook/textbook for upper elementary students. It is arranged in such a way that allows the student to read about, research, and add his/her own drawings and information to the book.
This is the type of interactive workbook that would be beneficial for several cross-curricular activities. It would be nice if each state had a similar workbook/textbook for the students to utilize.
  GigiHunter | Oct 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It is refreshing to know that my birth/home state isn't the only one that teaches its own state history while it is sad that not all states do so, especially since mine really can be quite dull if you aren't into it. And it is also nice to know that there are those who are working on ways of bringing history into the hands of children while making sure that it isn't dull.

"My Texas" starts off with the state basics of state animals, tree, flower and flag just to name a few. Then the activity book asks the child whose book it is information about themselves and what they know as well as what they plan to learn. And slowly the book extends from there to cover geography, history, a bit of zoology and so much more.

The book offers Big Texas facts throughout to put the spotlight on a particular fact while also including fun activities such as matching, coloring, drawing or finding pictures such as flags and/or current headlines.

And as a reminder to children that history doesn't just end where it is presented the book goes into modern details such as athletic sports, government, what type of jobs can be found and what they may desire for a Texas road trip.

This is definitely a wonderful book to be used and treasured by learning children (adults may also enjoy it). And I hope if in the future there is a "My Kansas" book that I can definitely get a chance to read that one as well.

**Received this book as part of the Early Reviewers at Librarything.com for free in exchange for a review** ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not a Texan but lived in Texas for 15 years. This is a teaching workbook with activities and questions. I learned many little tidbits as I read through this book. I think it could be used to learn facts about the state of Texas especially if you are not from the state. I can see it used also in homeschooling. Kudos to the author. I did enjoy it. ( )
  PoseyJ | Aug 25, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Matt Koceich's book My Texas was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible