For Exposure: The Life and Times of a Small…

For Exposure: The Life and Times of a Small Press Publisher

by Jason Sizemore

English (10)  Spanish (1)  All (11)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At FenCon in Dallas each year, I enjoy the panels and listen to filk. But this book has shown me how much of the drama I'm missing. Sure, I've seen the free sample magazines distributed -- now I understand the business urgency behind the practice. The book carefully lets each person tell their hilarious stories with everyone getting credit for their triumphs. If business bores you, stay away. If a well-functioning team is too bland, avoid this. But if you enjoy stories about a family accomplishing things by working together, this is your book.
[I received a free ebook copy to review from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program June 2015 batch.]
  fdougher | Mar 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m a follower of Apex Publications, but I had my doubts about this book, as I was afraid it was going to be too dense or specialized for a person like me, who knows nothing about the American publishing business. But I must say it’s been a pleasant surprise. The story of how Apex Publishing came to be turned out to be highly entertaining and informative, with plenty of hilarious behind-the-scene anecdotes. My main problem with the book was its sort of rashomonesque structure, in which those chapters written by Jason Sizemore intermingle with others with slightly (sometimes not so slightly) different versions of the same facts written by some of his collaborators, because although it worked well at the beginning, it started to feel too repetitive as I advanced in the book. And the same goes for some of the lengthy footnotes. Despite those caveats, I would recommend this book to any genre fan. ( )
  cuentosalgernon | Jan 26, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was hoping for something rather different, a more serious look at what it takes to get into the publishing world. There was a little bit of that (and those sections were the best part of the book), but in general this book read more like a convention report -- the hotel rooms, the weirdos in the halls, the drunken room parties. Certainly those were amusing, but they made the book feel like something an acquaintance might have written for Facebook (or told to cronies at later year's parties!). I'm glad I didn't have to lay down money for this book.

The first couple of "rebuttal" chapters (in which one or more of Mr. Sizemore's friends either share their own perspective of these drunken revels, or in same cases make up much wilder stories than the author's own) were amusing counterpoint, but after that they just felt like misplaced distractions from the main story, and mostly a lot of utter and unfunny nonsense. ( )
  runeshower | Jan 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay, first of all, it took me nearly a month to finally get myself to read past the first few paragraphs. It was just… weirdly religious, out of the blue, and had nothing to do with publishing. Then I promised myself I’d sit down and read through at least a chapter, and couldn’t put it down.

It’s more or less what LT thing described: humorous autobiographical essays, starting with the author’s early life -- a strange mixture of rural Baptist Christianity and Scifi/horror movies -- before moving quickly into the world of publishing. What really sets this book apart is the writing. The whole “humorous semi-autobiographical essay” genre is full of fun and engaging writing, but Sizemore is unexpectedly sharp and smart. It doesn’t feel like he’s trying too hard to be witty. Something about the writing reminds me of… well, a good Scifi author.

If you’re looking for insight into the publishing world, this isn’t really the book you want. It’s very specific to the world of Scifi/horror genre magazine publishing.

Sharp, smart, blunt, with more action than navel-gazing. He explains the inspiration and creation of Apex Science Fiction and Horror Digest in just 303 words, and it's well done. That’s the kind of thing most authors would needlessly drag out for a chapter or two. ( )
  Andibook | Oct 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received For Exposure: The Life and Times of a Small Press Publisher by Jason Sizemore as an LibraryThing Early Reviewer. It tells the tale of Sizemore's struggle to found and maintain the fantastic Apex Publications. It's an entertaining read with plenty of detail (and guest rebuttals) of what Sizemore has gone through as a small press publisher. Brings a good dose of insight into the small press world. ( )
  MFenn | Aug 10, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jason Sizemore's book For Exposure: The Life and Times of a Small Press Publisher was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible