Zombies v. Ninjas: Origin by R. A. Barnes

Zombies v. Ninjas: Origin

by R. A. Barnes

2213476,730 (4)3

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was funny and witty. I was seriously unable to put this book down! ( )
  Cory_Harris | May 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It is well written and amusing. Despite the silly title the book actually goes beyond the usual limited and predictable zombie outbreak storyline and has a developing plot that keeps you reading.

The story is set in Ireland and the main character is a psychiatrist who has taken up martial arts in his fifties. When his patients present with some interesting symptoms he soon discovers that the dead are coming back to life. The only people placed to deal with the situation are his martial arts group, by decapitating the undead. However, unexplained pregnancies and the murder of local funeral directors indicate that things are more complicated and more sinister than at first thought. ( )
  nebula21 | Mar 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as a Library Thing Early reviews a while ago but was unable to read it until recently. (Please forgive the incredibly late review!)

This story is just incredible. I couldn't put it down.
I read the entire book in two sittings, stopping only to sleep.
(That's what happens when I start reading too late at night.) ( )
  JawKnee | Feb 10, 2016 |
Fiction Book Review for ‘Zombies v. Ninjas: Origins’ by R.A. Barnes and Marble City Publishing.

Overall I liked this book. It was an easy and enjoyable read. The main character is a psychiatrist who takes martial arts classes for a hobby and to help keep in shape. When the dead started coming back to life, it was his martial arts class that led the charge on hunting down these zombies and chopping their heads off. I think that the explanation for how these zombies possibly came to be is quite ingenious. It is speculated in the book that a local meat packing/slaughterhouse company was trying to cut costs by feeding the cows feed that had cow meat in it as filler, therefore turning the cows into unintentional cannibals and triggering a curse that was thought to be just stories. Apparently the undertakers had a “code” of sorts and had all been taught to cut the heads off of the dead to prevent them from rising again. The undertakers were the only ones who were privy to the zombie information and had been keeping it from the general public, but something happened to make them start rising sooner than they were used to, and they could no longer keep it a secret. There was also an interesting twist to a zombie story by having them reproduce. The female were becoming pregnant by parthenogenesis. I thought that was neat.

Critiques: I’m going to give this a 4 star rating because I really did enjoy the story. There are a few things that stuck out to me though that I will mention here. One is about the punctuation. I’m in the US, so I don’t know if this is common in other countries, but in this book the author used single quotation marks instead of double. I’m used to reading single quotes only when used inside of double quotes so this was a bit distracting.
One content issue that I would have pointed out if I had edited this is that one zombie got her head chopped off in a hair salon and nobody seemed to notice or react to it. The hairdresser just happened to be the daughter of one of the undertakers, so knew about zombies, and was also a member of the ninja club. Her regular customer walked in and at first she didn’t know something was wrong and began to work on her hair. As soon as she realized the woman was a zombie, she chopped her head off. I don’t know how nobody in town noticed this, unless there was absolutely nobody in the shop but herself, and nobody outside on the streets looking in.
The other issue is that to me, the main character, Ruby, was hard to relate to. He was too much of a male pig for my tastes. Throughout the book he blatantly flirts with a doctor colleague that he has a crush on, yet he has a wife and children at home. He seems to disregard his wife as anything other than someone who takes care of the kids and cooks his dinner. I got the impression that he didn’t really respect her at all and took her for granted.

Disclaimer: I received this book from LibraryThing for free in exchange for posting an honest review. ( )
  kristikingmorgan | Oct 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fresh take on zombies from so many perspectives. I can't give them away - don't want to be a spoiler.
But this was an exciting and provocative take on the genre, well written and thoroughly enjoyable. Many new and interesting aspects, mysteries - it's got it all !! ( )
  Benboo | Oct 27, 2015 |

The dead are coming alive on an island in the North Atlantic Ocean. A bullet isn't going to stop them. They feel no pain.
Flesh-eating walkers have been taking sheep and cattle from the fields. A minor inconvenience until someone, or something, starts to organize them.
A force of pure evil, building an army of undead offspring, planning the end of mankind.
Only the ninjas are suitably skilled to identify the undead, understand them and cut off their heads. So few against so many.
Will the human race survive?

Featuring Ruby Barnes, John Baptist and D.I. Andy McAuliffe.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

R. A. Barnes's book Zombies v. Ninjas: Origin was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,755,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible