Moon Bayou (Samantha Moon Case Files Book 1)…

Moon Bayou (Samantha Moon Case Files Book 1)

by J.R. Rain

152647,891 (4)None

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Vampire novels usually are not really my cup of tea. Time travel, however, definitely is, so I decided to give this novel a try.

Moon Bayou follows mother-of-two, vampire private detective Samantha Moon as she takes on a missing person case that will take her to New Orleans, and accidently also to the 19th century.

I've read nothing of the original Vampire for Hire series that this new series is a spin off to, but I didn't feel like that mattered much since I didn't get the idea there were a lot of things I was missing because of it. The story really has two parts, none of which were fully closed at the end of this book. I suppose the larger of the two, the one involving time travel will be taken to the next novel in this series, as the ending truly had a cliffhanger.

The vampires were quite nice, especially in their bat-like forms. There were also some werewolves, because those seem obligatory these days. Overall, the writing was very fast and easy, making this a light read. I'd liked to see some more closure though, especially on the real 'case file'. I'll have to read the next book to find out what will happen to Samantha.

Moon Bayou is the first book in the Samantha Moon Case Files, which is a spin off series from the Vampire for Hire series.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
I just finished Moon Bayou by J.R. Rain and Rod Kierkegaard, Jr. It is the first book in the Samantha Moon Case Files series. Sam is in New Orleans looking for Wendy Lo for her clients, when she gets a strange text from Fang (fellow vampire and friend). An old vampire group called the Tete de Mort Krewe has a blood-price (a contract) on Sam. Sam is wanted by them dead or alive! Fang tells Sam to get out of town immediately, but, of course, Sam does not listen. She has yet to find her client. Kathy Bordelon in the Special Ops section of the New Orleans Police Department offers to help Sam. Sam really should have gotten out of town, because Kathy was only looking out for herself. She turns Sam over to the Tetes de Morts (means death’s heads). Specifically to Leopold-George Rakoczi (he just sounds sleazy), the Count Saint-Cyr. He also has Wendy who has a spike (the kind used for taping maple trees) in her jugular vein.

Luckily Sam and Wendy are rescued by Eulalie Macarty. Sam, though, wants to go and rescue Wendy’s roommate. Sam barges in to the ceremony to try and save the girl, but the ceremony gets completed. The next thing Sam knows is she is waking up naked in a swamp. Nothing but trees around her. She starts walking until she locates some people. Sam ends up getting arrested (called a prostitute) and taken in a carriage to town. The town looks like something from before the Civil War. Somehow, Sam how gone back in time to 1860. Sam needs to find a way to get herself back to 2015 (she knows she can just wait around and rejoin her life in 2015, but Sam would rather take a more direct route home). Sam is going to learn to navigate her way through old New Orleans (where women were considered delicate) and find the original Marie Laveau to get her to send her home.

I give Moon Bayou 4.5 out of 5 stars. It is a bewitching novel. The only part I did not like was the cliffhanger! We are left not knowing what is going to happen to Sam (we have to wait for the next book to come out). Otherwise, I found Moon Bayou a mesmerizing book!

I received a complimentary copy of Moon Bayou from Curiosity Quills in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are strictly my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 1, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,853,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible