Rescuing the Bad Boy by Jessica Lemmon

Rescuing the Bad Boy

by Jessica Lemmon

Loved! This! Book! The story is incredible and the writing is spectacular! Rarely can an author make me loathe a character so quickly and have me love him so deeply at the end. Donovan who appears to be the baddest of bad boys turns out to be one of the most loving and caring men around. Now Sofie just needs him to believe it. This is a great read and everyone needs it on the must read list. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
Review Link: http://wp.me/p5aHOQ-CK

Since I was introduced to my first Second Chance bad boy, Jessica Lemmon has been a go to favorite of mine for delicious heroes and toe curling romance and this one was no different. Rescuing the Bad Boy is the heartbreaking, heartwarming story of a second chance romance between Sofie and the bad boy who broke her heart.

I have wanted to read Sofie and Donovan’s story since their introduction in Bringing Home the Bad Boy. I was so excited to realize their book would be next and practically gobbled it up in one sitting.
Donny came back to Evergreen Cove after the death of his grandmother to sell his inheritance and quickly return to his life as a stone mason in New York City. When he realized the mansion he was willed by his grandmother is needed for his ex-lover’s charity event, he puts his plans on hold to help the woman he’s always regretted hurting all those years ago.

I had mixed emotions for Donny at first. On the one hand, I love a protective, dominant bad boy that isn’t subtle about his over protective nature. On the other hand, there is nothing more irritating than an alpha-male who excuses asshole behavior as “doing what’s best” for the woman he cares about. Yeah yeah, I’m contradicting myself but that sort of high-handed behavior grates on my nerves because it’s just so insulting! Let’s just say there are personality traits of alpha males that I looove and I hate.

Fortunately, as the book continues we are allowed glimpses into Donny’s psyche that melts my irritation into “awwhhh let me give you hugs and kisses” feelings. Donny has some fierce self-image issues stemming from his painful past in Evergreen Cove so it’s really difficult to blame the man for thinking he isn’t good enough for his warm-hearted Scampi.

Sofie and Donny’s story was both a deliciously sexy romance and a heart wringer. I recommend Rescuing the Bad Boy to lovers of smokin’ hawt contemporary romance – but be warned and bring a box of tissues! You’ll need them! ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Oct 19, 2015 |
Summary

Donovan Pate, has returned to Evergreen Cove, a lake town but also a place that is packed full of bad memories that he is going to have to face if he wants closure…he plans on sticking with his motto “Straight Through”. Donny hates what the memories have done to him when his grandmother’s estate needs to be sold, Donny knows that he has little choice in returning, if for a little while. But there is a catch, his grandmother made a contract with Sofie Martin to run a charity fundraiser at the mansion, a charity for children struggling with abuse. Donny knows he can’t refuse and he can’t resist Sofie Martin and what she has always meant to him despite the horrible way he treated her seven years ago. Sofie is a event planner and has been working hard to make sure this charity fundraiser goes off without a hitch. But when Donny returns home, she is full of mixed feelings. Her first time had been with Donny and at first it was beautiful and then it ended up being the worst night of her life. But both Donny and Sofie will have to go Straight Through the bad memories and create happy ones, and they find rebuilt trust but will their love be enough to create their own future and not the one fate designed for them?

The Hero

Donovan Pate suffered from horrible abuse at the hands of his father. His mother left them when he was young, and his grandmother never did anything to help him. Over the years, his body is covered in tattoos to cover the scars and the horrible memories that still haunt him. Donny left Evergreen Cove as soon as he could, and built a life for himself in New York, even if its a bit of a lonely life. When it becomes apparent that he will have to return to the one place he despises, he decides to just stick with his motto “Straight Through” and he will be able to overcome anything that still haunts him.

But he wasn’t one to avoid the monsters lurking in the dark. He preferred to deal with things head on. Cheaper than therapy.
But as he starts to work on getting the mansion ready to be sold, every room reminds him of the bad times, of the horror and the pain he suffered as a little boy. Donny is a hero that just about broke my heart. He is tough and has done certain things to protect himself since no one ever protected him when he needed it most. At first I really didn’t like him, because of the way he treated Sofie at first, but as the story progresses, you see how much suffering he has been dealt and I was won over to just love his character. He has that “tortured male” going on and it definitely appealed to me. I love a character that is tough and strong and willing to face the bad in order to get some of the good in life.

The Heroine

Sofie was a virgin seven years ago, when she saw Donny and he took her to the library in his mansion, and she always thought that there would be some positive memories for her first time. However, once he realizes that she is a virgin, he practically kicks her out the door. Sofie still after this long time, is hurt by what Donny did to her because she fell in love with him that night and despite her pain, she still does.

She couldn’t afford to love him. She couldn’t afford to give him another single part of her. Not after he’d taken the part she hadn’t realized was precious until she’d trusted it with him.
Sofie is an event planner and has made a prestigious business for herself. She isn’t as close to her family as she would like, but she is a ‘daddy’s girl’ and that relationship does play a part in this book. Sofie is strong and independent, but she also is lonely at times and wants to find love again. What I liked most about Sofie was how she stands up to Donny. She is zesty and spirited, and I loved how she stands firm on what she believes in and doesn’t let his bad boy attitude change anything.

Plot and Story Line

Rescuing The Bad Boy is the first book I have ever read from Jessica Lemmon, and dang but it was superb. At first it started out a bit slow, but it picked up pace pretty quickly and I was hooked within a couple chapters. It begins with these two meeting and having sex, and not exactly a night to sing about but it really sets the tone for the story and helps the reader understand what happened seven years previous and I enjoyed this aspect because it really adds more of an emotional tune to the story that I felt is needed if you want to delve deep into this one. At first when these two meet again, they have sparks but they are at opposite ends of the argument and neither wants to back down from the fight. I really enjoyed the “second chance” romance trope that is found in this story, and from what I can gather every book in the series has this theme. I was really captivated by the connection that these two have with each other. It isn’t an easy one or light-hearted one, its full of tough emotion, but this is the part of the book I loved the most. I couldn’t help but fall for both of these characters, both have healing to do and we see how it happens with them working together on the charity event. Now I want to talk about the chemistry these two have going…which boy is it hot.

Donovan ignored the warnings in his head. Now that he was drinking Sofie in, her warm half naked body pressed against his, there was no stopping. There was nothing he wanted more than to taste her, to feel her against him. There was only Sofie and there was only him and the scorching heat burning between them.
They definitely have some great sparks, and they don’t struggle with each other too much to just let it happen. I had a jolly time seeing them work through their issues and stumble a bit, but they get right back up and fight. I felt the supporting characters really added some more power to the story and livened it up more.

His friend’s eyes cut past him. “Giant mattress.”

“Huge”

Connor gave him a shit eating grin. “You bought her a bed.”

“Piss off. I bough A bed.”

“To sleep with her in.”

Donovan was sick of fighting one structural impediment or another. He wanted to lay her down and take the time to do the things he wanted to do to her.

And there were a lot of things.

“Lotta room to groove,” Connor put in.

“Don’t you have something to mulch?” Donovan grumbled

“Yeah, yeah,” He turned to leave.

Donovan followed, but before he flipped off the lights, he studied the big, spacious bed again. And thougt of Sofie on it.

Acres of room to groove.
And the dog…”Gertie” she totally won me over. I do love it when authors implement animals into stories, and it added that touch of sweet to help balance the story out in a harmonious way. Definitely can’t wait to read the first book now.

The Cover

Is that men drool worthy sexy or what ladies? I mean, I am not all for tats unless they are done just right, but boy that man I would take any day or night!! He definitely makes that shirt look yummy!!

Overall View

Rescuing The Bad Boy is a stunning romance that just had me craving more….I loved the bad boy, the feisty heroine, the sweet “Gertie”, the lively friends and the kids. A tale of love, redemption, and healing. SIMPLY FANTASTIC!! ( )
  addictofromance | Aug 26, 2015 |
What a great read! I laughed, teared up, shivered, and was engaged from page one till the very end.

There's a tortured past for this bad boy and his heroine, and decisions made that cause even more heartache. But when he's forced to come back in town and deal with the death of his grandmother, Sofie gives him the fight of his life, while at the same time breaking every barrier he had protecting his heart.

I fell in love with nearly every first and secondary character in this book, and found times that I really didn't want it to end. It's definitely a steamy story, yet sweet to a point that your heart aches. Five stars for a damn good job! ( )
  Deserie.Comfort | Jul 26, 2015 |
First of all, I hated the nickname, Scampi. I know it was supposed to be cute, but to me it was annoying. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book. Donavan started out as a real a**hole and there were definitely a few times I wanted to smack him upside the head. Thankfully we had Sophie to balance him out a bit. I had read the first book and didn't know it was a spin-off until I was reading the party scene in this one and names kept popping up that I had no idea who they were. Guess that means more books were just added to my TBR pile. Looking forward to Connor and Faith. ( )
  amdrane2 | Jun 9, 2015 |

"For Donovan Pate, the lake town of Evergreen Cove is a minefield of tough memories--including the day he had to let go of Sofie Martin. Years later he still can't forget the taste of her lips and the feel of her killer curves. He knows he's too damaged, that he should stay away for her own good. But what the head says and the heart wants are two very different things"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Jessica Lemmon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,458,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible