The Ends of the Earth: The Wide World -…

The Ends of the Earth: The Wide World - James Maxted 3 (The Wide World…

by Robert Goddard

English (6)  Danish (1)  All (7)
Unreadable

Imagine, if you will, that you planned to write a complex and exciting novel or a film set in several exotic places and with a large and varied cast of characters.

To prepare for the job, you start a story outline. First this happens then that happens. This character and then that one are introduced. The story shifts locations, time, POV, flashbacks emerge, motives are identified. This character dies here; those characters fall in love. The story line grows longer and longer and bits of dialogue occur to you. Maybe you are using Scrivener and write the dialogue in little notes.

Suddenly you are offered a super full-time job. Before abandoning the novel, you compile the outline and dialogue you have written and send it off to a publisher and for some reason that publisher agrees to print the book.

That expanded outline could be this book.

I received a review copy of "The Ends of the Earth: A James Maxted Thriller" by Robert Goddard (Grove Atlantic) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | May 3, 2017 |
Extremely well researched, complex plot as the final part of thr trilogy moves to Japan and begins answering the questions posed in the first two parts. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jan 7, 2017 |
The Ends of the Earth by Robert Goddard ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️❤️ 9/2/16 I cannot find enough superlatives for this series, simply brilliant. From the first page of the first book to the last page of the final book just gripped me and wouldn't let me go! If you want an in-depth Thriller / Suspense set in an authentic historical context this is the Trilogy for you. Only sad it has all come to an end! ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
The Ends of the Earth completes Robert Goddard’s historical thriller trilogy, one of the most brilliant and intricate spy novels I've ever read. James 'Max' Maxted, an ex-World War One flying ace, out to avenge the murder of his father in 1919. As we begin this book, the reader is not sure what his situation is after a fantastic cliffhanger in Book 2, Corners of the Globe. Max's friends have already arrived in Japan and are waiting for Max but he hasn't shown up yet. They have plans to finally capture the treacherous German spy master, Fritz Lemmer. Needless to say, there are numerous crosses and double crosses ahead of them and not everyone will make it out alive. These books have been entertaining, interesting, and surprising, filled with suspense and shocks in every chapter. I highly recommend reading this trilogy in order. I can't see how it can be enjoyed other than as one long, continuing story, which I found spellbinding. I'm sorry that the trilogy is over, but Robert Goddard has a huge inventory of well written and compelling novels that I can read while I wait to see what he has in store for us down the road. " ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
Book Description A thrilling climax to Robert Goddard's bestselling adventure trilogy, The Wide World. July 1919. Ex-flying ace James 'Max' Maxted's attempt to uncover the secret behind the death of his father, Sir Henry Maxted, murdered while serving as an adviser with the British delegation to the Paris peace conference, has seemingly ended in failure -- and his own death. The trail uncovered by him leads to Japan and a mysterious prisoner held by Sir Henry Maxted's old enemy, Count Tomura. Unaware of Max's fate, the team he has recruited to finish the job are already there, where their paths cross that of former German spymaster, Fritz Lemmer, now rebuilding his spy network in the service of a new, more sinister cause. In the days and weeks ahead, the quest Max embarked on in Paris will reach its dizzying end at Tomura's castle in the mountains of Honshu -- and the full truth of what occurred thirty years before will finally be laid bare.

My Review This was the best trilogy that I have ever read. It was a real page-turner from start to finish with excellent well-drawn characters and plot. Lots of twists and turns kept me on the edge of my seat. Apparently the author is not done with Max and there will be more adventures which I will anxiously await. If you haven't read Robert Goddard, what are you waiting for. He is an amazing author! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059306979X, Hardcover)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 07:39:11 -0400)

July 1919. Ex-flying ace James 'Max' Maxted's attempt to uncover the secret behind the death of his father, Sir Henry Maxted, murdered while serving as an adviser with the British delegation to the Paris peace conference, has seemingly ended in failure -- and his own death. The trail uncovered by him leads to Japan and a mysterious prisoner held by Sir Henry Maxted's old enemy, Count Tomura. Unaware of Max's fate, the team he has recruited to finish the job are already there, where their paths cross that of former German spymaster, Fritz Lemmer, now rebuilding his spy network in the service of a new, more sinister cause. In the days and weeks ahead, the quest Max embarked on in Paris will reach its dizzying end at Tomura's castle in the mountains of Honshu -- and the full truth of what occurred thirty years before will finally be laid bare.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible