The Darkness of the Womb by Richard B.…

The Darkness of the Womb

by Richard B. Knight

811,035,133 (4)None

I received this book from the author as part of the goodreads free giveaway program, and I'm glad I did. Otherwise, I may never have discovered this fresh new face in fiction. Richard B. Knight delivers an intriguing novel with a distinctive take on love, loss, and redemption.

Marigold and Jeff Haunt had been married for 28 years, and during that time had tried to have children regularly. Unfortunately, the two times Marigold did conceive ended in miscarriage. The one thing that never ended was the Haunt's love for each other, in fact they were more in love with each other after all that time. That's why when Marigold, at age 49, conceived again, both she and Jeff were ecstatic. Even after Marigold lost her job and money became tight, both parents were looking forward to sharing their love with a new addition to the family. Marigold was just praying this baby made it to term. It was probably their last chance at having a family.

Jeff was having his own problems. Teaching at a dysfunctional New Jersey school, Jeff had only been working their for a little more than a year. But Jeff needed this job for the health insurance as well as being the sole source of income for his family. On one of the worst days in his life, a classroom accident resuled in Jeff being fired. So many emotions running through his mind, Jeff was just glad he still had Marigold and the baby. Upon returning home, Jeff discovered Marigold had suffered an accident and was in a coma, making Jeff's day from hell complete.

Once in the coma, Marigold entered the landscape, a place where babies reside before they are born and others come to resolve issues in their life before they move on. Human emotions, such as Imagination, Instinct, Logic, Purpose, and Love, take on human form. In this strange new environment, Marigold learned that her son Aiden did not want to be born. With the help of the Instinct persona, Marigold must find her way to Aiden and convince him to be born.

This book was the most unique description of birth and death that I have ever read. The descriptions of the landscape and personification of human emotions are among the most unique things I have ever read. The book did seem to drag a bit in places, but my desire to find out what would happen to the main characters kept the pages turning. It was a quick read, with short chapters and plenty of places to stop until next time. However, as I stated previously, I just couldn't put the book down and finished in two days. A very solid debut for Mr. Knight, and I will definitely be looking forward to his next offering. ( )
  NPJacobsen | Jun 2, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,210,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible