The Guise of Another by Allen Eskens

The Guise of Another (2015)

by Allen Eskens

This is another book for the work book club. My initial thoughts are it is considerably darker than the first and third books. Its more of a thriller, than a mystery. Or, the mystery is solved early on, but than turns into a cat and mouse chase.

I also didn't like any of the characters, from Alexander, to his brother. The only character I really liked was the car victim who died in the first chapter of the book.

The chapters are short, and its a really quick read. Its really a 3.25 star book, but I gave it an extra 1/2 star due the Minnesota setting. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Mar 9, 2018 |
Why do so many writers make their villains cartoons? The drooling Drago is off the charts with his cruelty, efficiency and humorlessness. Right down to the scar. Oy. I skimmed and skipped a lot of his doings and because he was written with zero subtlety or flair, I didn’t miss a thing.

Alexander wasn’t believable at all. He’s immature and simple. Too simple and emotionally unaware to be a cop, never mind an undercover. Compare him with Frank Mackey from Tana French’s books and you’ll see what I mean. Alexander doesn’t have the wit, guile, suspicion or manipulativeness to succeed there. He lets Ianna play him like a violin. Your live-in boyfriend of three years is suddenly killed and you display no grief, pain, anger, despair or any other normal emotion and instead throw your oh-so-perfect body at me? Of course! I’m so manly and irresistible that this is completely normal. Suspect her, me? Why no. Of course not. Some cop. Not to mention his terrible “investigation” into Putnam’s death. The keyring shouldn’t have popped out of nowhere, he should have had it, the bank box key and the stupid thumb drive in his possession in the first day. Bah.

But here’s a funny thing. During the wind up as I was getting to the end I wished out loud that everyone would die at the end of the book (Max aside) and guess what...they do! Yay!
I have another Eskens book that I got on the cheap, and I’ll read it eventually, but not soon. Ugh. ( )
  Bookmarque | Feb 9, 2018 |
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

I enjoyed this book. A faced paced story with lots of action. Perhaps a little over the top with the angst of the main character but on the whole a satisfying read, ( )
  danojacks | Jan 5, 2017 |
The only thing that ties The Guise of Another to Allen Eskens' first book The Life We Bury is the presence of Max Rupert, but this book is younger brother Alex's show-- and it's a scary one. A dead man happens to have used a stolen identity. When Alex starts looking for the man's true identity, up pops an assassin, a veteran of the Balkan wars, who will stop at nothing to accomplish his goals.

The pace is swift, and readers' minds will fill with questions: Who's doing what? Why are they doing it? Who can be believed? Eskens ties all these questions to another masterful characterization. The more readers learn about Alex Rupert, the more they will wonder what, precisely, is going on. Because Alex is a master of revealing very little. Once everyone treats you with suspicion, you learn to keep things to yourself. But being one man against the world isn't a good thing when an assassin is headed your way.

I enjoy the way Eskens writes. The pacing, the setting, and the action are all vivid, and he has a way of getting into his characters' heads that draws the readers right in, too. I'm looking forward to his next book. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 18, 2016 |
Allen Eskens is a new favorite author of mine. In this novel, a police officer seeking redemption finds a case that is more than he bargained for in clearing his name. Great storytelling, filled with full (and flawed) characters, and a deepening mystery. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Jul 30, 2016 |

Alexander Rupert, a Minnesota detective and Medal of Valor winner, is under subpoena by a grand jury on suspicion of corruption. Reassigned to the Frauds Unit, he is shunned by his fellow detectives, and he fears his wife may be having an affair. When he happens across a complex case of identity theft, Rupert sees an opportunity to rehabilitate his tattered reputation. But the case puts him in the path of trained assassin Drago Basta, who has been searching for "James Putnam" for years.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,309,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible