Ana of California: A Novel by Andi Teran

Ana of California: A Novel

by Andi Teran

I enjoyed this story and stayed up late to finish it because I didn't want to go to sleep with Ana being lost. I didn't really relate to the heavy metal culture and am only slightly familiar with the farm culture, but it was a gripping book. Although it's not in the Young Adult section of the library, I think younger readers may enjoy it as well. ( )
  eliorajoy | Apr 1, 2017 |
Lovely book. Made me want to reread Anne of Green Gables. I could remember lots of the major points that this author incorporated into this modernized version. Anne of Green Gables felt more grounded than this one and the characters more real. But maybe that is because I am more out of touch with modern kids. I did wonder if the bands mentioned were fictional or real. I really shouldn't compare the two, except that the author is clearly using the earlier book as a guide. I stayed up way to late to finish. But I didn't feel like all the story lines were satisfactorily tied up. Maybe this means the author expects to continue with these characters. ( )
  njcur | Aug 22, 2015 |
Ana Cortez is at the end of the line in the foster care system in LA. At 15, she is too young to be emancipated, but her caseworker struggles to find the right fit for her. A farming internship in Northern California seems to be a good choice for her. Siblings Abbie and Emmett Garber own and run their family farm and sell locally to the community in the town of Hadley. The story echoes Anne of Green Gables, a childhood favorite of mine. From Emmett's confusion to the sex of the child he's picking up to Ana's outspoken, but well meaning feelings, you can see the lightly placed parallels throughout. I liked that Ana worked hard for the respect of the Garbers, particularly Emmett and the other workers at Garber Farm. While I loved picking out the characters' roles as they may have been in the original, the story itself began to move a bit slowly for me in parts, as the story continued. Will Ana get to stay at the farm, or not? Will she attend school in Hadley? What about the background story of her new friends? Rewarding in the end, but it took a while to get there. ( )
  ethel55 | Aug 10, 2015 |
This very modern rewriting of Anne of Green Gables has its own charm, even though many aspects of it will remind readers of the original. I wasn’t as taken with Ana as with Anne though, but maybe that’s because the original Anne was only eleven, and Ana is more of a mouthy teenager.

The retelling is set in the farming town of Hadley, California, and Ana Cortez, 15, is of Mexican heritage. She is sent to help Abbie and Emmett Garvey, a brother and sister who own a small farm catering to locavores. Ana doesn’t know anything about farming; she is, however, a talented artist. But she manages to do both, as well as to win the hearts of everyone around her.

The teenage aspect allows the author to speed up the timeline and add a romance with a local boy named Cole, as well as adding a lesbian BFF to the parade of very diverse characters in this small town. As for the romance, it became clear eventually what problem Rye, the BFF, had with Cole, but I couldn’t quite understand why the adults were so against him.

Evaluation: The plot is for the most part predictable, or maybe that’s because we know the story already, but that didn’t keep me from crying at the touching ending. ( )
  nbmars | Jul 4, 2015 |
Ana of California, the debut novel by Andi Teran, is a modern retelling of Anne of Green Gables. The original is a children's book. Ana of California is more for the YA/adult audience with more adult themes. While Anne of Green Gables will always be a childhood favorite for me, Ana of California also gets a place on my shelf, for an endearing main character and an engaging story.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/06/ana-of-california.html

Reviewed based on a publisher’s galley received through NetGalley ( )
  njmom3 | Jun 30, 2015 |

A modern take on the classic coming-of-age novel, inspired by Anne of Green Gables

In the grand tradition of Anne of Green Gables, Bridget Jones’s Diary, and The Three Weissmanns of Westport, Andi Teran’s captivating debut novel offers a contemporary twist on a beloved classic. Fifteen-year-old orphan Ana Cortez has just blown her last chance with a foster family. It’s a group home next—unless she agrees to leave East Los Angeles for a farm trainee program in Northern California.

When she first arrives, Ana can’t tell a tomato plant from a blackberry bush, and Emmett Garber is skeptical that this slight city girl can be any help on his farm. His sister Abbie, however, thinks Ana might be just what they need. Ana comes to love Garber Farm, and even Emmett has to admit that her hard work is an asset. But when she inadvertently stirs up trouble in town, Ana is afraid she might have ruined her last chance at finding a place to belong.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:43:37 -0400)

"Fifteen-year-old orphan Ana Cortez has just blown her last chance with a foster family. It's a group home next--unless she agrees to leave East Los Angeles for a farm trainee program in Northern California. When she first arrives, Ana can't tell a tomato plant from a blackberry bush, and Emmett Garber is skeptical that this slight city girl can be any help on his farm. His sister Abbie, however, thinks Ana might be just what they need"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,452,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible