Three Slices by Kevin Hearne

Three Slices

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (includes novella 7.5)

Wasn't into the last story. The first two were 4 star worthy though. ( )
  ravenwood0001 | Jun 17, 2017 |
Just the Iron Druid story, A Prelude to War. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
Three short stories that add to their respective series. All are well written with strong storylines and plots. The three authors did a great job. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
These collection of three short stories have two themes:

One is Tyromancy. The ancient art of predicting the future using cheese (traditionally by cheese making) beyond just “we’re going to have something tasty to eat.” This is actually a thing and our ancestors were odd odd people. I do appreciate this rather unique little twist uniting them,

The second is the old Polish saying “Not My Circus, Not my Monkeys.” A saying basically saying (simplistically) “not my problem.

This is most excellently done in Prelude to War from the IronDruid Chronicles a story between Shattered and Staked which nicely fits into the main plot line of the series, filling in some gaps and expanding on some points. In fact, if I have any criticism about this short story at all it fails one of my tests for a short story: it’s probably pretty incompressible if you don’t follow the main series of books. Since I do, I loved it because it excellently added to that main series, showing how Atticus got the information he needed to track down what he finds in the next book

I also always appreciate Kevin Hearne’s dedication to research – as while the other authors have come up with their own ideas for what Tyromancy involves, Hearne has actually gone to the original definition and method.

The “not our circus” comes in when he finds – and learns she “betrayed him”. A definition she gloriously rejects by pointing out she doesn’t owe him anything. He bought services from her once. He is now buying services from her again. She didn’t swear loyalty. She isn’t his friend. She doesn’t owe him anything – she certainly isn’t required to risk her life or die for the sake of protecting Atticus or helping in a fight or war that doesn’t remotely involve her. I appreciate this even more since Mekera is a Black woman – and a Lesbian or bisexual woman. This genre – and the media in general – is absolutely full of minorities being sidekicks for straight white men, serving straight white men and, of course, sacrificing for straight white men that having Mekera declare firmly that she didn’t sign up for any of that, she isn’t responsible for any of that and Atticus has no damn right to expect that from her is a wonderful subversion of that continued expectation. This isn’t her circus. These aren’t her monkeys. She isn’t involved and she doesn’t want to be and won’t be shamed into it or feel guilty because her loyalty was expected

The story also nicely touches on her last relationship – a deep and abiding love that led her to seek isolation when her lover died which is a nice element of character building I appreciated along with examination of her ethnicity and history. It’s a short story and she’s a briefly appearing character, I could understand her not being well developed. I like that some effort was made to make her more than just the woman who tells the future using cheese.

Not My Circus, Not my Monkeys is a Blud Short Story by Delilah S Dawson – and unfortunately I’m less of a fan. But, then, I think that stems from the same criticism I had of Prelude to War. If you’re not familiar with the series and world building, this is a hard one to follow. And while I know the Iron Druid Chronicles I don’t know this series and was kind of lost. There was a lot introduced in a very short time, a lot of concepts and creatures to understand with a lot of different cultures and shifts that I just found too much work to invest in and follow a rather alien character as Stain as well. This isn’t a criticism of this story – in fact it makes me hopeful for the main series because it’s clear it is involved and rich and with a very broad and deep world building which is impossible to sum up easily. I also wasn’t a huge fan of this main character but, then, I don’t think I was meant to be, or of his romantic ambitions (with a nice twist at the end). On the whole I didn’t enjoy this story but I’m intrigued by the series.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | May 25, 2016 |
Let me start out by saying that the only reason I got this e-book was because I got the next Iron Druid Chronicles for review (Staked) and that book is prefaced by Hearne telling you to go back and make sure you read the story A Prelude to War in Three Slices. Honestly this makes me a bit grumpy because if a novella is that important to the overall series then it should actually be in the next book...either as a prelude or included as an optional story to read in the back of the book. Telling your reader they have to go and dig up some remote novella available only on ebook sucks.

So why did I go and pick up Three Slices? Well I really like Delilah Dawson and this included a story about how Criminy Stain gets his circus. Also I have been wanting to read something by Chuck Wendig for for quite some time so this was a good opportunity to get a sample of his writing. So in the end it all worked out well, but I am still a bit grumpy about being coerced into reading this.

As with any anthology this was a mixed bag; overall though the stories are pretty good. I am going to write mini-reviews for them all below. If you are a Iron Druid Chronicles fan you definitely want to pick this up for the story that is in here. If you are a Criminy Stain fan (or even if you aren’t) Dawson has a very well done and entertaining story in here about how Criminy Stain got his circus. I can’t really say much about how the Wendig story relate to the Miriam Black series because I haven’t read the rest of that series.

All of the stories have to do with tyromancy, which is divination by cheese. Yep, a bit odd...but that is why this collection is cleverly titled Three Slices.

- A Prelude to War by Kevin Hearne (3/5 stars)
Atticus is traveling to Africa to meet with a diviner there to find out how to take out a group of old vampires and finish the war he seems to be in with them. Meanwhile Granuaile is trying to figure out how to get Loki’s mark removed from her arm. The two stories alternate and are a bit choppy. This is not a novella that makes any sense unless you have read the previous books in the series and is honestly more of a necessarily evil to find out where things are going than really entertaining.

- Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys by Delilah S. Dawson (5/5 stars)
Criminy Stain finds himself on the run after accidentally killing one of his volunteers. Then he runs into the deadly and enchanting Marissa in the forest; she leads him to a new circus which Criminy is determined to make his own. This was a wonderfully entertaining novella that stands well on it’s own. It also gives some great background on how Criminy Stain gets to where he is in the first Blud novel. I love this world and the characters and Dawson’s writing style is incredibly easy to read.

- Interlude: Swallow by Chuck Wendig (4/5 stars)
This is my first time reading Wendig’s writing and any of the Miriam Black stories. His writing style is very raw and gritty, it reminds me of Richard Kadrey or Lucy Snyder’s writing style. It’s very adult with a lot of swearing and crude sexual references. I actually enjoyed it and am interested in reading more about Miriam Black. The story didn’t stand alone very well. Miriam is trying to find out how to get rid of this curse she has (which we never get backstory on) and ends up dealing with this serial killer (again a bit vague on what was going on there). Still it was an entertaining and quick read and made me want to pick up the first Miriam Black novel to see what it’s all about. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 11, 2016 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, Delilah S.Authorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wendig, ChuckAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible