Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate…

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive

by Scott Tipton

The Enterprise follows a Klingon ship to a parallel world where they find “Earth” overtaken by apes. Now they must stop the Klingon's from starting civil war on the planet.

Have you always wanted to know what would have happened if Kirk and the rest of the crew happened to find themselves on the "Earth" from the Planet of the Apes? Well I haven't, but it was an interesting reading experience and this mixing different science fiction shows/movies together is a fun idea. What's next Star trek meets Alien, Predators, or E.T? The list can go on...

I have seen Planets of the Ape (well I have seen both the original and the new one, but I will referee to the original since the new one is…bad and it's the old one that is connected to this Star Trek graphic novel) and remember enough to keep up with the plot and it was quite fun seeing Kirk, Spock and the rest meet Charlton Heston, Eh I mean George Taylor. They need to stop the Klingons without interfering to much with the inhabitants of the planet, but of course Taylor is pissed off and want to start a war with the apes for the human race sake and they also have to deal with him as well as the Klingon's.

It was a good graphic novel, the art was OK, not breathtaking beautiful, but you could see who was who and that's nice. But I never really found myself really, really enjoying the story. It took me days to finish it and usually I devour a Star Trek graphic novel like it is a bag of candy. But this one, I started it and then it took me some days to return to it. In the end I just had to sit down and just read it, more like commanding myself than thinking how enjoyable it would be. Then again, I have been in a bit of reading slump the last couple of days so that could be part of it.

But I liked the graphic novel enough that I would want to know what happens next because the ending was a bit open and even though I started out a bit doubtful about it I did start to enjoy the story more when Kirk and the rest had to figure out of to help the apes without too much interference.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Totally believable crossover between these two universes that hit its mark. A lot of fun as the original Star trek team enters a portal to an alternate universe and finds themselves on the Planet of the Apes where a Klingon is arming the Gorillas for his own nefarious reasons. Great story with all the characters from each side you could possibly hope for and good art with everyone looking just like you'd expect them too. They can re-invent Star Trek as many times as they want but give me the original cast of the original Star Trek, anytime!! Loved it! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 29, 2015 |
I enjoy crossover stories when they work and I have to say that this Planet of The Apes/Star Trek story worked. Not only did they not distort anything, I felt the story arc complimented the original film and could happen in the television series (especially since the originals fell in two separate Earth worlds. Good story and also the artwork captured the characters likenesses. For a fan of both growing up, I relished this graphic novel and the flashback to my childhood fantasies. ( )
  grumpydan | Jun 24, 2015 |
A fun combination of two cult classics that most Star Trek TOS and Planet of the Apes fans will enjoy in a graphic novel medium. The artwork and text work well together and the reader will come across some familiar lines. A good start to a intriguing storyline with a great cliffhanger ending.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Jun 7, 2015 |
You make a lot of promises.
Yesterday's impossibility... is often today's dilemma.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,050,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible