Rescue Road: One Man, Thirty Thousand Dogs,…

Rescue Road: One Man, Thirty Thousand Dogs, and a Million Miles on the…

by Peter Zheutlin

Peter came into contact with one of the rescue organizatons and then pursued the story of who, how, and why. The what is rescuing endangered dogs from southern states and transporting them to "forever homes" in the northeast after they have been cleared and treated by vets. The whole concept of how dogs are viewed in the south is so foreign to me (I live in a state where animal abuse is a felony). Sure, we have our share of dumbwits who are too lazy to find a cheap spay clinic, and losers who abandon a pet instead of taking it to a proper facility, but we also have scout programs taking kids to shelters to socialize the animals and learn to be responsible to domestic animals. OK, enough rant. Peter does a ride/work along with the transporter and learns more than he ever wanted to know about transporting 80 dogs in a tricked out semi across country every other week, as well as about shelters in the south and the people called to change things and "save lives 4 paws at a time".
If you love dogs, this will be an emotional read. Maybe you will even be moved to help in your own way.
I was alerted to this book by Book Gorilla and got it as Whispersync on the cheap. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Jun 21, 2016 |
I hated that this book ended. I wanted to learn more about Greg, Keri, Tommy, Tom, Kathy and all of the other folks who keep this rescue operation going from Ohio to Louisiana to Texas back to Louisiana and across the southeast until Gotcha Days in Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey. And I'm not even an animal person.

To be honest, not sure how I ended up with this book recommended to me but it's wonderful. From small town Zanesville, Ohio where we meet Greg, Adella, Connor and Tommy to Keri in Louisiana and Kathy and Tom outside Houston. This truly is a miracle network. As Greg said, hours ago, these dogs would have died and they were given new life in their forever homes. It's amazing and somewhat frightening to realize how many dogs need problems and that even an improved euthanasia rate is still a heartbreakingly large number of animals dying

I'm so glad the author adopted Albie from Labs4Rescue which led to the article in Parade and then this book. I felt as if I got to know these people and their dogs. I wish I had space to adopt because so many animals need homes. ( )
  skinglist | Jun 10, 2016 |
If you only add one book on dog rescue to your library, then make it this one. Peter Zheutlin’s Rescue Road: One Man, Thirty Thousand Dogs, and a Million Miles on the Last Hope Highway is a compassionate compelling look into one man’s mission to save unwanted dogs in some of America’s worst areas. That man is Greg Mahle who trucks dogs that are literally on deaths door, to loving people who adopt them in a celebration he calls “Gotcha Day.” The author travels with him and the dogs, from the time they are first picked up until when they are handed to the excited new owners. In between this long, dirty, and tiring journey he introduces us to other dog rescue heroes that go out everyday to save neglected, hurting dogs from getting euthanized in over-crowded under-funded shelters.

As with life; there is a balance of sad and joyful moments in these pages. Reading Rescue Road made me hold my own fur babies closer, thankful to be a foster failure dog parent. Everyone that loves animals can do something to help them; from spay/neuter to fostering, to volunteering, to spreading the word to friends and on social media we can change what happens to dogs and cats and give them a better life. I loved the writing and the stories so I’m giving this book a 5 star rating. ( )
  PamelaBarrett | Oct 20, 2015 |

"Join journalist Peter Zheutlin as he travels with Greg [Mahle] from Ohio to the Gulf Coast on his Rescue Road Trips to bring hard-luck dogs from the deep South to loving 'forever families' up north, with the help of many selfless volunteers along the way"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,366,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible