French Illusions: From Tours to Paris by…

French Illusions: From Tours to Paris

by Linda Kovic-Skow

431,664,912 (4.33)None
adventure (1) France (1) French (1) memoir (2) Paris (2) romance (2) travel (2)

I am glad that I had this book in my hands when I finished the first book. Although this book was more about her friendships and relationships and not so much her job. It was nice to get another look into her life while in France. In my opinion she was brave to go through all she did. Travels, schooling, meeting new people. I felt for her at times as she was homesick in a foreign country with no family and at times no money. Just like the first book her writing style was very easy to read and just flowed through the pages. I felt as if I was along on the journey with her ( )
  bookaunt72 | Dec 10, 2015 |
When I finished reading the first book in this series, my main thought was what happens next? The author did a masterful job of piquing my curiosity and need to find out. From Tours to Paris is the delightful sequel and answer to my question.

As she did in her first book, Linda Kovic-Skow brought me right into her world of romance and adventure and kept me turning the pages through her descriptive and engaging writing. I am with her as a twenty-something experiencing the agony and ecstacy of young love in the City of Love. Her scenic details are exquisite and brought me into the scenes. Her rollercoaster of emotions had me recalling what it was like being twenty-something again. It was an honest and believable portrayal in that she weaves in the realities of dealing with her parents, honoring their wishes as well as the many friendships she forges with her peers while over there. The fact that she made this all work –taking off for France when she didn’t know the language, then extending her stay-is a testament to her resilience, courage and creative imagination. It makes for a very engaging and satisfying read and one I highly recommend ( )
  kathleen.pooler | Jul 20, 2015 |
Back in October 2014, I wrote a review of French Illusions by Linda Kovic-Skow. The memoir related Linda’s disastrous experience as an au-pair in the Loire Valley. Now the author is back with a sequel. French Illusions: From Tours to Paris starts right where the first book ended and tells the author’s adventures as a student in France. Linda still dreams of becoming a flight attendant and is determined to learn French. All she has to do is find a place to live in Tours and enjoy her time in France. Of course, not everything goes according to plan, especially when her boyfriend, back from a trip to Morocco, makes a surprising announcement.

French Illusions: From Tours to Paris is a fun and entertaining read, although a bit terrifying. Based on the diary Linda kept during her stay in France, her experiences could be anyone’s worst nightmare. Alone in a foreign country, she couldn’t help being vulnerable. From money problems to boyfriend issues, she went through a lot during her 8 and a half months in France!

I thought the book was well written, and short chapters allowed the story to unfold at a good pace. In addition, Linda’s love for France was evident, but it was interesting how she fell for men who were actually not French. Maybe she felt she had more in common with them because she was a foreigner herself. Too bad she didn’t get to live the full French experience! 😉 In the end though, I really enjoyed her book as it reminded me of the travel adventures of my youth, and it was easy for me to identify with her.

Linda Kovic-Skow didn’t become a flight attendant after all, but her stay in France taught her a lot and made her more mature. I’m just grateful she chose to share her experience with us through her memoir.

French Illusions: From Tours to Paris was sent to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Jun 18, 2015 |

Linda Kovic's story continues in From Tours to Paris - the final book in the French Illusions series based on her diaries from 1979 and 1980. Still determined to learn French and fulfill her dream of becoming an international flight attendant, she puts her disastrous stint as an au pair behind her and revels in newfound freedom in the city of Tours. She finds lodging, enrolls at a French institute, and spends eight glorious days with Adam before he leaves for the holidays. When he returns, his shocking announcement propels her in a different direction, eventually leading her to Paris. Join Linda as she struggles with money, faces challenges at school, and learns some tough lessons about love and life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:40:54 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,243,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible