Yes, My Accent Is Real: And Some Other…

Yes, My Accent Is Real: And Some Other Things I Haven't Told You

by Kunal Nayyar (Author and Reader)

check out the audiobook - it was read by Kunal himself. Recommended. if you enjoy Raj's humor from Big Bang theory, you'll enjoy this one. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
If there ever was a book that was meant to be enjoyed as an audio, it’s this book. Superbly performed by the author, if you read the print version, you missed out. Kunal Nayyar shares a variety of stories about himself and his life in India and in the United States. Some are humorous, some are sad, and some are informative, but all are entertaining. Self-deprecating and honest, Kunal relays stories about coming to the United States for college, about his time in drama classes, and about several of his auditions and the parts he didn’t get. Also included is the anguish he felt while waiting to hear back from the producers of Big Bang Theory. Kunal also includes some good advice in this collection of stories; some he garnered from his father and some he acquired through his own life experiences. He comes across as a person you’d like to have as a friend, and considering there were at least a thousand people at his wedding to a former Miss India, there must be a lot of people who feel the same way. Enlightening and entertaining, this memoir shows that Kunal is a gifted author as well as an actor. ( )
  Maydacat | Feb 25, 2019 |
Nayyar, an actor on The Big Bang Theory, tells little stories about himself and his journey from India to university in America to a MFA in acting to the job that made him famous to his marriage. (That sentence is a little wonky, but it is late and I am tired. Sorry, gentle reader.)

I chuckled several times, and yet Nayyar's writing is not planned comedy or pretentious either. He seems like a really good guy and very wise for his age. I gave him an extra half point for being so...mature? Loving? Admirable? I can't find the right word, but it's a good book any way. ( )
  alsvidur | Sep 15, 2017 |
Yes My Accent is Real: and Some Other Things I Haven’t Told You

I Picked Up This Book Because: Celebrity books have been my not so guilty pleasure for the past few months. Even though I don’t watch his show his book was highly recommended by a friend.

The Story:

I loved this book. Going in I didn’t know Kunal from Adam but I’m so glad I got to know him a little bit. His stories are so intriguing. From growing up in India to moving to the states, from adjusting to school in America to starting his acting career, from his friendship with Zico to his marriage I was engrossed in every minute. The story with his dad, brother and the mouse was so close to being my favorite until he talked about meeting his wife (and forgive me I’ve forgotten her name). The mouse story was just plain hilarious but the way Kunal speaks about his wife takes my breath away. I’m in awe of his depth of feeling for her and his ability to express it in words.

I honestly hope as his life and career progress he chooses to write another book and share those next chapters with the world.

The Random Thoughts:

4.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Mar 10, 2017 |
The actor who plays Raj in "The Big Bang Theory" writes a - well, not exactly a memoir, because as he says, "I'm not a politician...or a Kardashian" - but a collection of stories and memories from growing up in New Delhi to coming to America for college to getting interested in theater and deciding to make a career out of acting. It's quirky, heartfelt, funny, and I really enjoyed hearing the author himself read it: and yes, his accent is real. ( )
1 vote bell7 | Oct 17, 2016 |

Of all the charming misfits on television, there's no doubt Raj from The Big Bang Theory--the sincere yet incurably geeky Indian-American astrophysicist--ranks among the misfittingest. Now, we meet the actor who is every bit as loveable as the character he plays on TV. In this revealing collection of essays written in his irreverent, hilarious, and self-deprecating voice, Kunal Nayyar traces his journey from a little boy in New Delhi who mistakes an awkward first kiss for a sacred commitment to the grown man who meets and marries a former Miss India in an elaborate seven-day event chronicled in "My Big Fat Indian Wedding." In between, he grapples with feelings of loneliness and being an outsider, tells his parents he wants to be an actor, and offers a bold new theory to explain to a skeptical world "Why being an Indian is cool."--Adapted from book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,487,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible