Fable: Blood of Heroes by Jim C. Hines

Fable: Blood of Heroes

by Jim C. Hines

English (3)  German (1)  All (4)
This was a fun adventure with a great cast of characters. I'm not familiar with Fable franchise/games to discuss if true to that world-building or gameplay; I was reading because a new release from a favorite author that promised more along the lines of one of my all time favorite series by him, [The Legend of Jig Dragonslayer].

It delivered as promised. Was a perfect start for my first time participation in Dewey's Readathon back in October 2015. (Yes, a very belated review.)

"It wasn't a real brawl until the bystanders
      started jumping in from the sidelines."

Books based on video games have always been hit or miss with me depending on whether they just read like a game session or game actions/instructions versus had a real story -- this one had story with true heroes despite the humor. No idea if will be a series or not; I hope so unless a series where too many authors are used to have a good continuity.

Microsoft has discontinued the game so not sure what that means to series possibility. ( )
  Spurts | Mar 24, 2017 |
armored chickens
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I always meant to read a Hines book. This was not his world. Instead it was based in a game called fables. Truth be told I have not heard of that game, I am not a gamer (though I do like games) so I cannot say a lot about that. What I do know is that he obviously brings the humour I have heard so much into this story. I so need to read his original works too.

Right. So this is country called Albion, the king is a ghost. The new king is young, and rather foolish. Heroes are not even remembered in legend, but they are back! Yes some folks seem to be born heroes. And they all come to the king's city.

First we have 4 heroes trying to find out why a tavern was set on fire, then they hunt smugglers and redcaps.

4 other heroes goes to a mining town where a witch is killing people. Are these things connected? What is going on in Albion?

Female heroes! Just as kick-ass as the male ones. And no on looks twice at them, I loved that. Winter, Glory, they were all cool. As for the males, well I liked Leach cos he was a freaky thing that liked to dissect things.

These are heroes that are weird, who thinks only of saving people, who is not all that nice underneath. All heroes saving the world their way.

The humour was the best thing. It was always there, it was never in your face. A funny fantasy book. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |

The official companion novel to the videogame Fable® Legends

Deep in Albion’s darkest age, long before once upon a time . . . Heroes are thought to be gone from the land. So why have the bards begun singing of them once more? For Fable newcomers and dedicated fans alike, Blood of Heroes delves into a never-before-glimpsed era, telling the tale of a band of adventurers who come together to defend a kingdom in desperate need.

The city of Brightlodge is awash with Heroes from every corner of Albion, all eager for their next quest. When someone tries to burn down the Cock and Bard inn, four Heroes find themselves hastily thrown together, chasing outlaws through sewers, storming a riverboat full of smugglers, and placing their trust in a most unlikely ally. As the beginnings of a deadly plot are revealed, it becomes clear that Heroes have truly arrived—and so have villains.

What connects the recent events in Brightlodge to rumors about a malicious ghost and a spate of unsolved deaths in the nearby mining town of Grayrock? Unless Albion’s bravest Heroes can find the answer, the dawn of a new age could be extinguished before it even begins.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 01:16:38 -0400)

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,106,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible