The Scam by Janet Evanovich

When someone launders your money do they also iron and starch it? Why yes, I am a dad, why do you ask?

Nick Fox and Kate O'Hare are once again using Nick's talents as a conman to take down criminals on the FBI's list of bad guys. This time they are after a casino owner who is helping launder money for anyone from mobsters to terrorists. Given the company he keeps, is it any surprise he has a tank of piranha in his office for 'negotiations'.

After being disappointed in the second instalment in this series, The Chase, I was unsure if I would read any more of the Evanovich and Goldberg series. I already had The Scam on loan from the library, so I decided to chance it. This was a rewarding decision as The Scam delivers an entertaining read.

I was disappointed with The Chase because it felt like an episode from one of those will-they-won't-they crime shows - such as Castle or Bones - during their declining years. You know, just as they are lining up the ramp over the shark cage. But The Scam felt like an early episode at the beginning of the series when Castle or Bones are still awesome, even though there are plot elements here that set this firmly later in the series (can't say more without major spoilers).

So skip The Chase and read The Scam. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
A special thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Being a Stephanie Plum fan, I was really looking forward to reading this book. Okay, so I didn't read the others in the series, but have since skimmed through them. This series is a bit of a train wreck... Evanovich's previous series were a breeze to read and so much fun! Not this book/series. We all need mindless reads from time to time, which is what I thought when I picked this book for review. This really didn't work for me, is it because it is co-authored? Is it because she takes some potshots at Canadians? Maybe. I think I will stick with books in my usual vein and leave the Evanovich series alone - my reading list is far too long to to waste my time on a mediocre at best book. ( )
  GirlWellRead | Feb 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received as an LT Early Reviewer read.

Cute premise, with a con-artist/thief partnered under duress with a straight-laced agent. Sparks and explosions ensue. Not exactly a new premise, and it felt a bit forced at times, but I'd borrow a sequel from the library. Not up to Stephanie Plum par, though. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 10, 2017 |
*insert huge grin here* ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
Kate O'Hare, a FBI agent and her super intelligent con man, Nick Fox are teamed up to special assignments like trapping elusive big time criminals in the casino business. They are after Evan Trace who has a casino In Macau. Trace is a money laundering kingpin for all sorts of criminals and dictators.

The team pose as big gambling whales. They start off in Hawaii, go to Las Vegas and Macau. I liked the different changes of scenery but could not swallow some of the details. Part of the story involved an adaptation of Charles Dicken's Great Expectation but involved Mr. Potato Head. Although I loved playing with Potato Head when was young my imagination refused to stretch that far. As soon as I tried to imagine that my interest went down hill. There were some laugh out loud lines and I really enjoyed travelling to Macau but it just did not seem as good as it could have been.
Kate's dad was great but Mr. Potato Head sunk this book. I think I like Janet Evanovitch better as a solo writer. ( )
  Carolee888 | Nov 11, 2016 |

Evanovich, Janetprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goldberg, Leemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kate O’Hare bought her Ford Crown Vic at a police auction for abused cop cars.

Nicolas Fox is a charming con man and master thief on the run. Kate O’Hare is the FBI agent who is hot on his trail. At least that’s what everyone thinks. In reality, Fox and O’Hare are secretly working together to bring down super-criminals the law can’t touch. Criminals like brutal casino magnate Evan Trace.

Evan Trace is running a money-laundering operation through his casino in Macau. Some of his best customers are mobsters, dictators, and global terrorists. Nick and Kate will have to go deep undercover as high-stakes gamblers, wagering millions of dollars—and their lives—in an attempt to topple Trace’s empire.

It’s a scam that will take Fox and O’Hare from the Las Vegas strip, to the sun-soaked beaches of Oahu’s North Shore, and into the dark back alleys of Macau. Their only backup—a self-absorbed actor, a Somali pirate, and Kate’s father, an ex-soldier who believes a rocket launcher is the best way to solve every problem. What could possibly go wrong?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 23:31:07 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Janet Evanovich's book The Scam was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,018,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible