Silver Spurs by Miralee Ferrell
731,138,814 (4.67)None

I didn't like Kate during the first half of the book. IN the first book of the series she was a very nice, thoughful and kind kid. In the first half of the book she acted so selfishly. Instead of being grateful that her wish of having a horse was fulfilled, she constantly complained about how things were not fair. In each situtation she felt remorse, but she didn't seem to learn too much about her behavior or take into consideration her parents' and brother's situation.

Thankfully, that ended, and then I liked the book a lot better again. I really like the message these books send and applaud the author. ( )
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
So Excited to Find This Horse Series for Kids!!

Wow!! I have to say I am very excited about Miralee Ferrell's new series for kids, Horses and Friends, after reading Silver Spurs, her second book. I have not read her first, so there is enough back story for the book to stand alone.

Miralee has done a fantastic job of presenting young teens with the realistic problems they can face. I love her accurate portrayal of a family with an autistic child. Obviously, she is familiar with someone who deals with that on a daily basis. She also presents longings of a young teen's heart well, plus the hazards of negotiating a recent move and new friendships, competition, and a new school. What made me the most excited to see, though, was how Miralee wove faith in God into the story. This family made turning to God for help their first go-to, not their last. I am thrilled not only to recommend this book to the general public, but to pass it on to my own horse-loving niece.

I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review, but I was not required to write a positive review. ( )
  Becky_L | Aug 11, 2015 |
My daughter and I read A Horse for Kate and was excited to see that there was a sequel to it. I enjoyed the first book due to its accurate, fun and detailed view of what it takes to own and ride horses. I also thought the author sensitively talked about class and race and disability which can be unusual in books about the horse world. I was happy to see that the same holds true for Silver Spurs where complex family dynamics, cultural difference and atypical development was exquisitely handled. Since we are a Jewish family we also had the opportunity to learn more about how Kate's Christian beliefs are interwoven into the fabric of her everyday life and that was a pleasure. Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to review this book for an honest opinion. ( )
  Karen59 | Jun 30, 2015 |

Kate’s dream of owning a horse has finally happened. But now her best friend Tori has no money to buy a horse. So Kate comes up with a plan—she’ll raise money by boarding horses and hosting a show in her family’s barn.

It seems the perfect solution until Melissa, the girl who disses Kate and Tori at school, shows up to board her horse, determined to compete in their show and win the silver spurs. Will their plan be ruined—or does God have something better in store for them all?

Silver Spurs is a tale of overcoming fears and trusting God with your dreams.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 10 Jul 2015 06:31:31 -0400)

When her friend cannot afford to buy a horse, Kate hosts a competition in her family's barn to raise funds only to have her efforts challenged by a rival who stands to win the prize money.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible