Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity by Becky…

Gotham Academy, Volume 2: Calamity

by Becky Cloonan, Mingjue Helen Chen (Illustrator), Brenden Fletcher (Author), Karl Kerschl (Illustrator), Msassyk (Illustrator)

Series: Gotham Academy (7-12)

One of the best comics I've read in a long time. But then, I have a definite weakness for feisty female detectives, so maybe it's not a surprise I loved it. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Aug 8, 2017 |
This is a perfect graphic novel for children or YA, and also for grown-ups like me of course. I think one of the reasons I enjoy this series is because Map's reminds me of Jubilation Lee, whom I adore. And, this graphic novel has a lot of Maps in it. Don't take me wrong. I like Olive also, and she has an important part in this volume also with trying to come to terms with her mother's death.

But, it's Map's adventure with Damian Wayne and Robin (well a Robin since it's apparently a group of Robin's now) that really makes this volume enjoyable. Olive is always so serious and Map is instead so wonderfully cheerful and it's a pure delight to read about Map's adventures. It was also nice to see that Map's brother Kyle had a big role also. The more I read the more I feel that this series is becoming a favorite of mine. It's really nice to have something a bit lighter to read now and then.

The art was good, however, the art in the first issue with felt a bit off, (see above) but other than that the whole volume was good. I do feel that it was a bit too fast to read it. Which not necessary is a bad thing, but I do want to read more.

The first volume was good. This one was even better. The stories felt a bit stronger in this one and I never felt like I was missing something like I did in the last volume while I read it.

4.5 stars

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Gotham Academy Vol 2: Calamity I found this volume quite a bit more interesting than the first one but not quite as much fun. It's much more serious, what with Olive's family history  starting to come into play more. The mystery of Olive's family seems central to the plot but her group of curious friends keep the tone a little light-hearted.
I really enjoy supportive all the friends are. Especially Maps. She has got be my favorite. Her song at the beginning of the first issue in this volume was adorable! They definitely keep a little mystery surrounding some other characters and I hope that their backgrounds get explored further in the following volumes, but for now I'm happy to be digging deeper into what Calamity is all about. ( )
  Calavari | Oct 26, 2016 |
Still having trouble following the storyline as many times, the text doesn't reflect what we are seeing. Still liked it though. ( )
  kinwolf | Oct 23, 2016 |
Gotham Academy Vol 2: Calamity written by Becky Cloonan and illustrated by Brenden Fletcher is the second collected volume of these YA comics set in a boarding school in DC's main comic universe (the one with Batman and Arkham Asylum in it). I have previously reviewed Vol 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy.

I did not enjoy this volume as much as the first. I spent a lot of the first couple of issues being confused about what was going on. And then, when things became clearer, it wasn't satisfying because I could see no reason for things to have been confusing in the first place. Also the existence of werewolves in a superhero universe seemed odd to me, but that's probably just my unfamiliarity with the DC universe (compared with Marvel) talking.

The larger, more overarching story in this volume is about Olive's mother and whether/how/why she was a supervillain. This is more interesting than the werewolf story and makes a bit more sense too... but I still think it could have been more coherently written. I am not sure if this is because we were supposed to pick up references to other DC comics (Google tells me Olive's mum has appeared in a few other comics that I haven't read), or what. It all made sense in the end — just — but I'm not sure it was worth the several pages of "wait, what's happening?" that I experienced near the start.

All that aside, I would still definitely pick up the next volume. I still like the characters and I think the series overall is still worth reading. The ending of this volume hints at how the story and characters (especially Olive) might develop in the future. I look forward to finding out how it goes.

On a side note, having a boarding school linked by secret tunnels to Arkham Asylum is pretty irresponsible. Furthermore, the existence of the latter is super ableist, wow. Even if it has been shut down/abandoned by the time Gotham Academy takes place.

I recommend this volume if you liked the first, but don't expect it to surpass the first in enjoyment. Although this is a bit of a step down, I'm not ready to give up on this series yet and will be picking up the next volume when I can.

3.5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Apr 5, 2016 |

Cloonan, BeckyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chen, Mingjue HelenIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Fletcher, BrendenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kerschl, KarlIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
MsassykIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Kerschl, KarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible