Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire

Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Illustrator)

Series: Descender (1-6)

A robot who is also an adorable little boy survives terrible and mysterious catastrophes. He may hold the key to understanding and preventing their return. The other characters and the settings are interesting. The art is beautiful. I would have loved this if I had read it when I was young. Now, I have read enough stories to notice when the plot is steered by the Rule of Cool, when the answer to "Why didn't the characters do the smart thing?" is "Because the author wanted a torture scene/a robot gladiator scene/a woman dying, gasping a slogan." Also, I have read enough stories that treat women as people to find the Weasley ratio really annoyingly noticeable. There's one female main character, one female supporting character, a few more who get a line but not a name. And only one of these female characters is human: the robot boy's dead mom. ( )
  susanramirez | Sep 17, 2018 |
This is the first book in the Descender graphic novel series. As of now, there are eight volumes in this series. I enjoyed this graphic novel and thought it was an interesting sci-fi story that was strangely engaging.

When the Harvester robots come to wipe out a number of planets in the Galactic Empire, civilization is devastated. Meanwhile, years later a child companion robot named TIM-21 is devastated in his own way when he wakes up to find all the humans on his planet killed by a gas leak.

When the Galactic Empire chases the mystery of the Harvester robot down to the TIM robot series, TIM-21’s existence changes forever. He suddenly finds himself a very desirable little robot, stuck in a variety of dangerous situations. Unfortunately he is programmed to be a good companion and be friendly...not evade evil scavengers.

I enjoyed the watercolor-like illustration style to this graphic novel. I also enjoyed that there was a lot of action in here but the graphic novel was still very personable. You can’t help but like TIM-21 and the robots that help him.

I liked the parts of the graphic novel with TIM-21 way more than the parts with the Galactic Empire. I found the parts with the Galactic Empire to be almost jarring when compared to the portions of the novel told from TIM-21’s perspective.

Overall this was a good start to the Descender graphic novel series. I enjoyed a lot of the concepts and characters in here but didn’t enjoy jumping between the Galactic Empire and TIM-21’s home world. I am reading a lot of different graphic novels right now and am not sure if I will continue on with this series or not. My library does have all the books, so I will probably pick up the rest of the books when I have a bit less to read on my plate. ( )
  krau0098 | Sep 13, 2018 |
SUCH BEAUTIFUL ART I'M SO ALIVE ( )
  nimbon | Jul 24, 2018 |
A future scifi about a galaxy out to destroy all robots or androids after their worlds were decimated by mysterious, planet-sized robots. Tim, a long dormant robot programmed to keep his "brother" company on a distant mining planet, awakens 10 years after the incident, and inadvertently advertises his presence. There are bounty hunters out for him and members of the galactic council as well, who want to try to find the link between his OS and the giant robots. One thing that I think is a great touch with this series is the artwork is rendered in watercolor - not something I would associate with a sleek, futuristic graphic novel. But it works so well. ( )
  tapestry100 | Mar 15, 2018 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wands, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The planet Niyrata.
Niyrata is the technological and cultural hub of the group of nine Core Planets known as The United Galactic Council.

" One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet" -- summary provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,151,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible