Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Descender Volume 1: Tin Stars

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Illustrator)

Series: Descender (1-6)

" One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet" -- summary provided by publisher.

Wow. I really loved this. Totally compelling characters and story, intriguing backstory woven seamlessly in the narrative and gorgeous artwork. Call me a definite fan. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
Love the art, and love a story with robots/AI in it. That's pretty much all I need, but I also love the character design and I'm super intrigued with the ending. So, I have book 2 on hold. ( )
  katebrarian | Jul 28, 2020 |
Do you remember the film AI? Yeah. I loved that, too.

What if I could get all the delicious goodies from that film and mix it with a complex galactic empire beset by huge robots called Harvesters that are a lot larger than the Death Star?

Oh yeah. Ohhhh yeah.

But don't stop there! Make sure your heroes are full of pathos and mythic qualities, mix in some good storytelling and fantastic art... and you've got this.

I love SF, but THIS is why I love SF.

Just how many factions, be it aliens, robot haters, robot sympathizers, and robots are we dealing with, here? I'm gonna start loving this series. My only complaint is in waiting for more to come out! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Mannnn, so good.

I've only recently gotten into non-manga comics, and I picked up volumes 1-4 of Descender before even reading any of the first volume, because the art (from flipping through) and plot summary had already pulled me in. I've read the first two, but I'm hesitant to read on because then I'll have to waiiiiitttt!

There are a lot of diverse characters, and not just because some are aliens/robots/etc. Tim-21 is adorable, and his robotic intelligence in a small boy's body reminds me of Presea from Tales of Symphonia. He's emotional, and it's funny when other characters are telling him to lower his emotion levels and he's just like, "This is how I was programmed! I can't help it!" Driller and his "DRILLER IS KILLER" provides some comic relief, and his being protective of other, smaller bots is endearing. Telsa is your somewhat-stereotypical tough military type, but I like her. Dr. Quon is a pretty cowardly character, so he's not a favorite, but he provides balance.

The art is so coooool. I love the watercolor and how some of the edges are a little rough, or there's a bit of white outline here and there. I feel like it really suits the story because of how "rough" so many of the locations and characters are. Sometimes, when characters are a bit further into the background, their features are kind of lost, or dialogue has to tell you who it is because it's several figures kind of blurred together, but it doesn't really bother me or detract from the story--just one of the "issues" that comes with the watercolor medium.

One thing that does kind of bother me--and this is something I've noticed in a lot of American/non-Japanese art--is how some characters tend to look way older than they are. One character is a kid in the beginning (like maybe 10-12), and then 10 years later, here he is mentioning an ex-wife and looking like he's 35 (and he wasn't doing crack as far as I can tell). I had guessed at who he was, but I wasn't sure until it was actually stated, because he didn't look at all his age. I'm not worried about whether they're attractive, but just the fact that no one ever seems to look like they're 20-25 when they are. Not a big deal, but something I've noticed.

Other reviewers have mentioned how this pulls from or copies other media, but I feel like it's hard NOT to do that when you're working with sci-fi. There aren't a lot of general ideas that haven't already been touched on, but you can still work with those ideas in new ways. But then, as much as I enjoy sci-fi, I'm not all that well-versed in it, so what do I know. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
I re-read this to remind myself what it was all about before reading the next two in the series. Good stuff. I've finished all three trades now and just pre-ordered the 4th. (It comes out next month.) ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wands, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The planet Niyrata.
Niyrata is the technological and cultural hub of the group of nine Core Planets known as The United Galactic Council.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible