Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars by Jeff Lemire

Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars

by Jeff Lemire, Dustin Nguyen (Illustrator)

Series: Descender (1-6)

I read these books in reverse order (from 3 to 1), so I knew more about the characters than perhaps I should have. It was good to see the start of the adventures of Tim-21, Driller, Captain Telsa, Quon and the rest. It's an interesting universe which sets humans against robots and then explores the grey areas in between. I couldn't help thinking that the Harvester robots looked a bit like Ted Hughes' Iron Giant though. ( )
  questbird | Aug 19, 2017 |
Awesomesauce! Review pending... ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
It's classic sci-fi, or space opera at the very least. New planets, great characters. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
3.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Trigger warning for robot-genocide, especially for Grim.

The cover looked pretty, so I had to read it. Shallow, I know.

Tim-21, a companion robot, wakes up on his mining colony only to find 10 years have passed and his human family is dead. More has happened though. After a robot-alien species killed millions, androids have been allowed and are actively searched for and exterminated (to speak with the Daleks).

I really quite liked this book. It had something, I can't really describe what it was that made me want to continue reading and also I liked Tim-21 a lot. At first I was a bit suspicious of the story (since I've been disappointed with a lot of graphic novels lately) but it was unnecessary. Although it was a little bit chaotic at times, I would really like to know how the story continues.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Jeff Lemireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nguyen, DustinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wands, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The planet Niyrata.
Niyrata is the technological and cultural hub of the group of nine Core Planets known as The United Galactic Council.

" One young robot's struggle to stay alive in a universe where all androids have been outlawed and bounty hunters lurk on every planet" -- summary provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible