My Very Best Friend by Cathy Lamb

My Very Best Friend

by Cathy Lamb

Could not force myself to keep reading this book. Didn't care for it at all. I have read several other Lamb books and enjoyed them. This one was just weird and didn't make any sense to me. ( )
  deb115 | Apr 26, 2018 |
My Very Best Friend is the first book that I've read by Cathy Lamb but it won't be the last. After reading this book, I have ordered three of her previous books and plan to read all of her books in the next several months. This book is about Charlotte, a 35 year old romance writer with no romance in her life. The best word to describe Charlotte is she is quirky - she is a cat woman and a virtual recluse. She returns to Scotland, where she grew up, to fix up her parents cottage to sell and while she is there, she finds many of her old friends. Her best friend, Bridget - who she has corresponded with in letters since she left Scotland as a teenager, has disappeared and Charlotte knows that something is very wrong with Bridget but doesn't know what. This is the story of that friendship I laughed out loud in parts of this book and I cried in others. It's a beautiful well written book and I highly recommend it. ( )
  susan0316 | Sep 24, 2015 |
From Cathy Lamb, comes another poignant, funny and winsome novel, titled My Very Best Friend.

After a twenty year absence, reclusive bestselling romance writer, Charlotte Mackintosh is returning home to Scotland to arrange the sale of her family’s cottage. She is also hoping to reconnect with her childhood best friend, Bridget, who has stopped replying to her letters. She is shocked to discover the cottage in a state of bad disrepair, and to learn that Bridget, who has been living a lie, is missing.

My Very Best Friend is a story about friendship, about love, about childhood and coming home. It features a decidedly odd but endearing heroine, a handsome Scotsman, a broken woman and a community of quirky characters.

It deals with serious issues including sexual abuse, domestic violence, drug addiction, grief, and the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. There are some unbearably tragic moments in the novel that had tears welling in my eyes, others that had me gritting teeth at the injustice.

But what Lamb does best is to remind us that life, for all its sorrows, can be utterly glorious. Charlotte and Toran’s reconnection will have you sighing and swooning, the ladies of the St Ambrose Garden Club (aka The Gabbing and Gobbling Gardeners) will have you screaming with laughter as they lead rowdy drunken sing-along’s in the town square and ride bikes in their lingerie at midnight, and a surprise reunion will have you smiling so hard your cheeks will hurt.

It has a few flaws, including a somewhat slow moving, muddled start and a little repetition, but I’m willing to forgive all because Lamb redeems herself with such fantastic characters and heartfelt commitment to the story.

Witty, wise and wonderful, My Very Best Friend is another winner for me. ( )
  shelleyraec | Aug 6, 2015 |
I’ve said many times that Cathy Lamb is my favorite author, and there’s a reason. It’s because she seems to get people. She gets women and their relationships with each other and with the men in their lives. Her novels always include strong women and quirky friendships; and even stronger men who aren’t afraid to let the women in their lives exert their independence and be strong, understanding that strong doesn’t diminish femininity. Simply stated, Cathy Lamb is a master of the Women’s Fiction genre.

Cathy’s newest novel, My Very Best Friend is no exception. It’s a beautiful story of first friendships and first loves. Sometimes, as well as you think you know someone, you don’t know their story at all.

My Very Best Friend tells the story of four childhood best friends, separated for twenty years when one of them (Charlotte) is moved across the ocean from Scotland to America. Though the distance separates them, they’re never out of each other’s thoughts. When Charlotte returns to Scotland to take care of family property, she is reunited with old friends and discovers heartbreaking secrets that she never knew existed. The kind of secrets that change a child’s life and define the adult she becomes. The same kind of secrets that brings overwhelming guilt to those ignorant of that secret who, had they known, may’ve been able to provide the very support that friends always provide.

Like all of Cathy’s novels, My Very Best Friend is a melting pot of humor and sorrow. In one moment the reader is laughing out loud and, in the next moment, the reader finds her heart broken. It’s a careful balance that leaves the reader feeling completely satisfied, and it’s Cathy’s biggest strength in her writing.

If I tell you any more about the story, it’ll ruin it for you. So instead I’ll leave you with the basics:

- A romance novelist specializing in a time-traveling heroine series
- Quirky women with no censor
- A rugged Scotsman
- A lost childhood friend
- Love found through both friendship and romance, and the keen understanding that sometimes the difference between the two is blurred.

Overall, a very good read. ( )
  CathieArms | Aug 5, 2015 |
A special thank you to Kensington Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Love the cover!

MY VERY BEST FRIEND by Cathy Lamb is a poignant tale of two women, filled with highly-charged topics and tragedy; mixed with humor, wit, romance, and ultimately a bond of strong friendship, love, and rediscovery.

Charlotte, age thirty-five, is an international bestselling romance writer, and lives off the coast of Washington on a quiet island, Whale Island. Her ninth book was released four months earlier and she goes by her pen name, Georgia Chandler--her mother was a southern belle.

Of course, Charlotte has no romance in her own life. Her late father, Quinn was Scottish. Some people call her a recluse, as she has enough in her life without people. Her publisher wants her to travel to promote her books, but she prefers to stay at home with her cats while she continues to love science. Now her mother wants her to go to Scotland to check on her cottage, fix it up and sell it. She has not been back in over twenty years—and she is afraid of flying, plus it is too painful.

Bridget is her best friend-she has not seen in twenty years; however, they still communicate by writing letters to one another up until the last few months. Bridget still lives in Scotland. Her brother is Toran and often she sends her letters through him.

Charlotte returns to Scotland and faced with the neglected house and irresistible garden—and is reunited with gorgeous, confident, Toran, (a hunk of a man), Bridget’s brother. Next to Bridget he had been her best friend, her first kiss and first love at fifteen. They shared a love of science, farming, gardening, and chess.

Now, Charlotte and Toran are frantic. Where is Bridget and what happened to her? Is Bridget the person Charlotte once knew? What led her down this painful path? Why hadn’t she told her about her life, per past?

Will these two women learn something about themselves and at the same time be there for one another through life’s trials and disappointments? Charlotte finds she has to be strong and protective on behalf of her friend, while she has been abused, molested, shunned and discriminated by others in the village. What a journey!

A powerful, emotional, and bittersweet novel of friendship, a connection, support, secrets, tragedy, forgiveness, humor and acceptance. REDISCOVERY, from master storyteller connecting past and present for a beautifully written and engaging read. Characters you will remember long after the book ends! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Jul 22, 2015 |

From a childhood friendship sustained over years and distance, to a journey of discovery, Cathy Lamb’s poignant novel tells of two women whose paths converge with unforeseen results—and reveals the gift of connection, and the challenges that can change everything for the better…

Charlotte Mackintosh is an internationally known bestselling romance writer who has no romance, and remains a mystery to her fans. In fact, she has little in her life besides her work, her pampered cats, and her secluded home off the coast of Washington. And then there is her very best friend, Bridget, who lives in Scotland, where Charlotte lived until she was fifteen. Bridget, whom Charlotte hasn’t seen in twenty years, but continues to write to—though the replies have stopped. Hurt by the silence, an opportunity arises to find answers—and maybe much more.

Charlotte must finally return to Scotland to sell her late father’s cottage. It was his tragic death when Charlotte was fifteen that began her growing isolation, and the task is fraught with memories. But her plans are slowed when she’s confronted with the beautiful but neglected house, the irresistible garden—and Toran, Bridget’s brother. Capable and kind, Toran has the answers Charlotte seeks. And as she is drawn deeper into the community she thought she’d left behind, Charlotte learns not only more about her dear friend, but about herself—and discovers a new and unexpected path.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 11 Jul 2015 08:32:06 -0400)

"Charlotte Mackintosh is an internationally known bestselling romance writer who has no romance, and remains a mystery to her fans. In fact, she has little in her life besides her work, her pampered cats, and her secluded home off the coast of Washington. And then there is her very best friend, Bridget, who lives in Scotland, where Charlotte lived until she was fifteen. Bridget, whom Charlotte hasn't seen in twenty years, but continues to write to--though the replies have stopped. Hurt by the silence, an opportunity arises to find answers--and maybe much more. Charlotte must finally return to Scotland to sell her late father's cottage. It was his tragic death when Charlotte was fifteen that began her growing isolation, and the task is fraught with memories. But her plans are slowed when she's confronted with the beautiful but neglected house, the irresistible garden--and Toran, Bridget's brother. Capable and kind, Toran has the answers Charlotte seeks. And as she is drawn deeper into the community she thought she'd left behind, Charlotte learns not only more about her dear friend, but about herself--and discovers a new and unexpected path."-- Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,532,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible