SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will…

SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life (edition 2003)

by Steven G. Pratt M. D. (Author)

The super-bestselling book that's enhancing Americans' healthBy eating the fourteen SuperFoods highlighted in Dr. Steven Pratt's instant bestseller, you can actually stop the incremental deteriorations that lead to common ailments and diseases Beans -- reduce obesity Blueberries -- lower risk for cardiovascular disease Broccoli -- lowers the incidence of cataracts and fights birth defects Oats -- reduce the risk of type II diabetes Oranges -- prevent strokes Pumpkin -- lowers the risk of various cancers Wild salmon -- lowers the risk of heart disease Soy -- lowers cholesterol Spinach -- decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease and age-related macular degeneration Tea -- helps prevent osteoporosis Tomatoes -- raise the skin's sun protection factor Turkey -- helps build a strong immune system Walnuts -- reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer * Yogurt-promotes strong bones and a healthy heart SuperFoods Rx includes recipes created by Chef Michel Stroot of the Golden Door Spa and teaches you how to incorporate SuperFoods and their sidekicks into your diet. SuperFoods Rx is an indispensable guide to a healthy, long, and energetic life.… (more)
Member:valentinewiggin1
Title:SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life
Authors:Steven G. Pratt M. D. (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2003), Edition: 1, 352 pages
Tags:RR0001

SuperFoods Rx: Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life by Steven G. Pratt

What I love about this book? Well, for one, the things that you won't find mentioned in it: Gluten-free, Low-Carb, Detox, GMO Foods, Juicing, Paleo, Vegan, or plugs for the author's own line of protein powders, supplements or food additives. In other words, there isn't a whiff of quackery, faddism or environmental agenda that seems to permeate so many books on nutrition. The author is both a researcher and clinician and spotlights foods whose health promoting abilities are backed up by mainstream research not just anecdotal evidence.

I learned a hard lesson in lifestyle and its connection to health this autumn when I was diagnosed a diabetic. One of the first things I learned from a diabetes educator is that a diabetic diet is basically just a healthy diet. The difficult part of course is learning what that is when so much extreme and contradictory advice exists out there in books and online. I know lifestyle makes a difference because I saw it in my own life these past six months. As I changed how I ate my weight and cholesterol went down, as did my insulin doses--which I was able to eliminate months ago; my endocrinologist thinks that, depending on my next round of tests, I may be able to get off medications altogether. That's how powerful food is--or right versus wrong foods anyway.

And this book isn't extreme, isn't puritanical, doesn't restrict entire groups of foods. The model meal plan and recipes are doable and delicious. Some recipes are involved, but a lot are very simple, affordable and easy to add to your life: Patty's Pumpkin Pudding, Grilled Wild Salmon Burgers (using canned salmon), Superfoods RX Salad, Tropical Yogurt Parfait, Fortified Cereal. All were very easy to incorporate. I found his shopping suggestions invaluable in beginning to make changes. Too many diet gurus seem to sell their own products. When Pratt lists cereals, breads, canned goods, etc, they're from many different brands and not favoring any in particular--there are usually multiple suggestions.

Not that I don't still have work to do. I find you can't change your life on a dime and have it stick. It takes time, and it's easiest to make a few changes at a time. I probably could use more beans in my life. I doubt I will ever be able to work in the amount of citrus, berries and yogurt he recommends daily. I'm dubious of incorporating as much fruit juice in my diet as is suggested here--it's about the only part of his diet that doesn't go well with what I've been told is good for diabetics. But the information in this book has proven invaluable--a list of his Superfoods and "sidekicks" and recommended amounts are up on my refrigerator door as a daily reminder. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Apr 21, 2014 |
I thought this book was pretty fantastic. I loved how it gave you all different aspects on the foods recommend. The history of the food, WHY the food is good for you, WHAT the food can do for you and WHO the food might benefit most. There was a lot of scientific information that sometimes I tended to glance through, but it was all very useful information. Then the book broke it down very easily for anyone on how it could be incorporated into our diet. It also gives lots of easy recipes which is great. The book was also honest about the fat content and how it should be eaten. It really inspired me to go out and throw everything in my fridge and cupboards away and start fresh. Good stuff. ( )
  goldiebear | Jan 26, 2009 |
This is a book about nutrition and its crucial importance in maintaining good health and avoiding disease. Dr. Pratt lists 14 "super" foods (beans, broccoli . . .walnuts, yogurt), explains why they are important, names their "sidekicks", i.e., other foods that have the same qualities, recommends ways to use them, and includes recipes using these foods (which I can't vouch for).

Despite its punchy title, the text is sober and exclamation point free, the data is supported and the conclusions are pursuasive. ( )
  marysargent | Dec 5, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,546,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible