The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian

The Guest Room

by Chris Bohjalian

The Guest Room is light reading for the beach. It's formulaic with simple prose. The premise is do not host strippers for a bachelor's party because there are dire consequences. There are themes of forgiveness, betrayal and guilt. The book is a page turner. I read it in a few hours on an airplane. If you are bogged down from literary fiction, Bohjalian's book is a nice break. ( )
  ErinDenver | Jun 12, 2017 |
Wow - this book lingers a while after finishing. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and completed it in a single sitting... ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
I usually do not like books by Chris Bohjalian, so this was a surprise. The book centers on two characters: a sex slave and an upscale man. Richard Chapman allows his younger brother to conduct his bachelor party at his house. Richard's wife and daughter go to his mother-in-law's house to escape the party. What follows plummets Richard into despair and frustration. The two sex slave girls kill their captors and flee, after leaving the house sprayed with blood and evidence. The story switches perspective from Richard and Alexandra as the story unwinds. The reader sees all the angles of the story, except for the Russian men holding these girls as sex slaves. A disturbing story. ( )
  delphimo | May 14, 2017 |
In my mind, the term bachelor party conjures up images of high caloric food, shots followed by beer chasers, maybe a strip club or someone hired to dance down to her thong in front of the man of the hour and dawn breaking over guys sprawled everywhere. This story starts with a bachelor party that ends not with semi-conscience young men sprawled on sticky floors, but with two dead Russian body guards and two missing the Russian sex slaves. From here Chris Bohijalian takes the reader on a journey of discovery and emotional entanglement. He attacks the sex trafficking trade head on and turns Richard’s life inside out. Richard is a virtuous kind of guy, a wealth investment banker, the brother of the groom and the unlucky host of this party, who had a momentary lapse in judgment. Now his life, his family will never be the same. The story is captivating and thought provoking , creating a whirlwind of emotions, sadness, anger, shock and incredulity. Highly recommend.

Review previously posted at: www.princetonbookreview.com

Find us on
Face book https://www.facebook.com/princetonbookreview/
Find us on Twitter https://twitter.com/PBR_BookReview
Find us on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pbrbookreview/ ( )
  Princetonbookreview | Mar 27, 2017 |
[The Guest Room] by Chris Bohjalian
3 Stars

From The Book:
When Kristin Chapman agrees to let her husband, Richard, host his brother's bachelor party, she expects a certain amount of debauchery. She takes their young daughter to Manhattan for the evening, leaving her Westchester home to the men and their hired entertainment. What she does not expect is that the entertainment—two scared young women brought there by force—will kill their captors and drive off into the night.

With their house now a crime scene, Kristin's and Richard’s life spirals into nightmare. Kristin is unable to forgive her husband for his lapses in judgement, or for the moment he shared with a dark-haired girl in the guest room. But for the dark-haired girl, Alexandra, the danger is just beginning.

My Thoughts:
I have always enjoyed novels by this author and found them easy reading with interesting themes. This one somehow just didn't live up to the standards of the others. I don't know if it was the topic of human slavery and the Russian mob or if it was the sleazy actions by the guests at the bachelor party...but it just lacked something. So I would have to say the book was just "okay". I didn't hate the book. It had promise from the description... but I found it tedious and was glad when it ended. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 24, 2017 |
I don't think I'd love you so deeply if you had nothing to complain of and nothing to regret.

Boris Pasternak, Doctor Zhivago
For Victoria.
For Grace.
For the girl in the lobby who was paying the bellman at three a.m.
Richard Chapman presumed there would be a stripper at this brother Philip's bachelor party.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Midwives and The Sandcastle Girls comes the spellbinding tale of a party gone horribly wrong: two men lie dead in a suburban living room; two women are on the run from police; and a marriage is ripping apart at the seams.

When Richard Chapman offers to host his younger brother's bachelor party, he expects a certain amount of debauchery. He sends his wife, Kristin, and young daughter off to his mother-in-law's for the weekend, and he opens his Westchester home to his brother's friends and their hired entertainment. What he does not expect is this: bacchanalian drunkenness, a dangerously intimate moment in his guest bedroom, and two naked women stabbing and killing their Russian bodyguards before driving off into the night. In the aftermath, Richard's life rapidly spirals into a nightmare. The police throw him out of his home, now a crime scene; his investment banking firm puts him on indefinite leave; and his wife finds herself unable to forgive him for the moment he shared with a dark-haired girl in the guest room. But the dark-haired girl, Alexandra, faces a much graver danger. In one breathless, violent night, she is free, running to escape the police who will arrest her and the gangsters who will kill her in a heartbeat. A captivating, chilling story about shame and scandal, The Guest Room is a riveting novel from one of our greatest storytellers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 02 Jul 2015 10:58:27 -0400)

Chris Bohjalian is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible