Onyx Webb: Book One: Episodes 1, 2 & 3 by…

Onyx Webb: Book One: Episodes 1, 2 & 3

by Richard Fenton

107880,191 (4)None

“We do not fear heights. We fear falling. Nor do we fear the darkness, but, rather, what we think may be lurking there. And in matters of life and death, we do not fear dying… only that it may be final.”

The 27 Immutable Matters of Life & Death
What really caught my attention with this book is that its cover is attractive. I like how the white blends with the eye-catchy font of the title. I love the skull cover made with the silhouettes of multiple spiders and their web. How cool is that? I didn’t know what the story made of and before I know it, I have a book to read and I tell you – it is good.

****

All of the episodes are unique, mysterious and interesting. With the three episodes that I’ve read, episode three really strike me hard in the chest. It is not something I will cry upon or something that I will mourn over. It is something that I won’t forget because of how the author manipulates words and brought pain to its readers when they are thinking or reading that certain line. It was beautiful and painful both at the same time. The last time I felt like this when I read the ending of Part 1 of The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom. You know the feeling when you read a certain part and it is painful to even on thinking about it? This is what I felt with Episode 3 of this book.

I’ve been warned by the author that her book was different from other books and I have to agree! It was really different and applausive, it was magnificent, I don’t know how to express it but this book knows no bound and capacity. As if I am experiencing someone else life and living through in an individual and going back to my own mentality as if I was confused whether what I just witnessed (or read) is created by my own imagination or a reality that stuck on my memory or it was just the book, itself.

****

I am reading Onyx Webb and I really don’t know what just happened on the last few pages of the book. It was unexpected. I don’t expect something so vulgar and yet shocking. I was futile and I am not prepared what is happening. I have to commend both authors for doing an excellent job on viewing such explosive and destructive to reader’s mind while emphasizing the behavior of the characters of this book in a tremendous state. I was in awe and I couldn’t think straight. I was terrified and scared but I like and love it both at the same time. It was raw, sweet and transparent.

“Nothing can ever take the pain away, not entirely, but knowing your loved ones are okay and at peace brings enormous comfort.”
I need to breathe! Onyx Webb is definitely a read! This one is one of the novels that needs a lot of reader’s attention. My emotions and feelings are unstable it is between traumatic, despair and thrilling. It was like you wanted more but you don’t want to read upon, you wanted to know what will happen next but the things that have been throwing into your mind are vicious.

“Where did you ever get the idea that the church is in the business of punishment?” Sister Mary Margaret said. “We’re in the business of forgiveness.”
Personally, I liked the book. It was a refreshing read. It was not my kind of genre but it turns out that it is. I think, I should read more books like this. I was so hooked with the turn of events in the book that I lost myself. Somehow, I love Andrea Waltz and Richard Fenton’s writing style. They are easy to grasp and you’ll lose with their words. I also love how they put phrases between chapters and episodes. Sometimes, it was painful and grieving, scary and furious but above all, it was magical.

My mind is telling me to finish this book but my heart tells me no – I want more of it. And gods, that ending, how could you, guys, possibly end the book that way with that kind of situation, with that kind of realization? NO. YOU, JUST DON’T DO IT. Book 1 of Onyx Webb is surely a great book! And right now? I want the book two!!

My ratings: 4 stars! ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |
You can find me review on: https://theroyalpolarbearreads.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/book-review-onyx-webb-by-andrea-waltz-richard-fenton/

My ratings: 4 stars! ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Jun 1, 2016 |
I loved everything about this book. From the different points of view to the different dates in time to the fantastic illustrations and the hair raising creepiness.

When I reached the end of this book, Onyx Webb was still an enigma to me. I know there are many more episodes to come and I’m sure I’ll figure her out. The jury is still out about her right now.

Ever wanted to know how it felt to be a ghost? From what I learned in this book, it’s no fun. Can’t taste, can’t feel, and can’t love. Why stick around? This story will tell you why.

Taking place in different time periods, all of the characters start their stories here and it’s promised by the authors that following episodes will reveal their full stories and bring all of the characters together.

For now, I’m just getting to know Onyx and her father Catfish, rich boy Koda Mulvaney and his best friend Dane, Quinn Cole and his missing sister Juniper, and a slew of secondary characters.

I’ve read other books written in episodes but not quite like this. The characters stories span many centuries but it’s easy to follow them as their voices speak clearly. And there are several mysteries happening at different times and I have no clue how they’ll all come together.

I also knew there wouldn’t be an ending in this book, so no surprise there. And that’s the ‘hook.’ I was hooked from the first chapter, compelled to keep reading, and in no hurry to finish.

The illustrations are spectacular and the writing is easy to follow. Not what you’d expect at all with the story occurring in several different time periods and told from many points of view.

Trying to label this, I’d call this a ghost story and a mystery. Maybe adding a dash of historical too. With lots of showing and some telling. Short chapters that make the read fly. And I believe I already mentioned the illustrations. They are all through the book and ‘tell’ a story too.

There are several more books to come, each containing three episodes. You can bet I’m off to grab the second book now and will be watching for others as they are released. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |
Onyx Webb: Book One by Richard Fenton and Andrea Waltz is a hard book to describe. It’s a little like a soap opera set in different time periods, different locations and with a supernatural element thrown in for good measure. The story for Onyx Webb is a complex one, we start off with four storys and then each story evolves into something bigger.

First of all we have the story of a young girl named Onyx Webb who is going to the 1904 World’s Fair with her Cajun father Catfish. At the fair she is abducted my a strange woman who has also kidnapped other children. We also have a story of Onyx in the present day as a ghost who needs to kill to feel alive. Throughout the book we find out what happened to Onyx and we are introduced to other characters and stories. Another story we have is of Juniper Cole, a piano prodigy who was kidnapped on the way to her prom in 1979. Our fourth story begins in 2010 and follows the sexiest man alive Koda Mulvaney who has just blown through a $20 million dollar trust fund and has seen something odd that changes his life.

There you have it, this is the story of Onyx Webb. My description of the story may sound confusing, but if you start to read it everything does make sense and little by little you see a connection between each story. In the beginning of the book the authors state that this is meant to be a nine book series with multiple stories, characters, settings and time periods. You really can’t describe whats going on in this book in a couple of paragraphs. What I can say about this book is that if you like soap operas you will enjoy this book.

This was an odd book for me, I found myself complaining that there wasn’t enough action but then again this book didn’t need it. There are several mysteries going on at the same time and the characters are so interesting that I couldn’t put it down. Right from the beginning this book hooks you with a poem from Onyx where she says she wants to be alive again and you are wondering what happened to her.

I loved the historical references in this book including the details on the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair and the Great Depression. Though most of all I like the character of Onyx. The woman is a complete mystery and we see how she changes throughout time, what we don’t know is how she got to be the way she is. To talk to much about her would ruin the story but I loved how in the beginning we see her as an innocent child and then we see her going through life making mistakes and living with the consequences. It’s easy to relate to Onyx because everyone makes mistakes like she does and you have to keep reading to find out how she became a ghost.

I struggled to find the best way to describe this book but it’s like a spider’s web. There are a lot of different things going on but its all connected and the main mystery here is how it’s connected and what is the central plot? This book can also be described as a massive painting that you can stare at for hours and get several different meanings out of. Even though I’m having a hard time describing this book, I thought it was a great read and I’m looking forward to more installments.

http://onyxwebb.com/ ( )
  dwatson2 | Nov 8, 2015 |
Even though this new edition includes the first three episodes, I don't have much more to say than what I said in my review of the first episode. There's more story, but it still didn't get anywhere, and it took me less than a day to read it. I'm left with lots of questions, and looking at the release schedule in the copy I received, I'm not sure if I want to invest that much time or money in getting those questions answered. Perhaps if the episodes were condensed down into fewer books, I would be more interested.

I guess I was expecting the story to be like a tv show; perhaps slow at first, but intriguing, and each successive episode drawing me further into the story. However, the setup for what happened to Onyx and how all the other characters tie into her story is taking too long. All the way through to the end of episode 3, new characters are introduced with no way of telling if they're important or not. Most of my reading notes consist of a long list of names, just in case I would meet them again and need to remind myself who they are. Despite giving the first episode four stars, I don't feel there's enough story in the remainder of this book to give it any more than three. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Oct 8, 2015 |

Best-Selling Authors Fenton & Waltz Welcome You to the World of Onyx Webb. This is Book One. (Episodes 1, 2, and 3)

One reviewer says, "Fabulous. Different. Odd. Crazy. Wonderful. I've never read anything like it. You've created the weirdest, coolest new genre of fiction and I love it."

The Onyx Webb series follows the unusual life of Onyx Webb along with a central group of characters in various locations and times. The billionaire Mulvaney family, piano prodigy Juniper Cole and her brother Quinn, paranormal show hosts Cryer and Fudge, and a few others make up the core of the series. Written like a book version of a supernatural soap opera, each character’s story moves forward with most every episode. It may appear that the characters are entirely unrelated and yet episode by episode, the connections will become clearer. Like being an inch away from a spider web, with each book, the web will move further and further away revealing the full story of every character and most importantly, the stunning conclusion for Onyx Webb herself.

In Book One...

It’s June, 1980 and piano prodigy, Juniper Cole is on the way to her senior prom.It’s January 2010, and Koda Mulvaney has blown through his 20 million dollar trust fund and is told by his father to return home and get to work.It’s August, 1904 and little Onyx Webb is on her way to the famous World’s Fair in St. Louis with her father, Catfish.

Special Note: Unlike the digital version, the printed book contains pictures and graphical memes.

Scroll up and grab Book One today!

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:49:18 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,235,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible